Can someone tell me where the cable release is on the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I can seem to find it and that is strange. I sure hope it has one.

Thank you all,

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

To the right of the mount if you look onto the camera from the front. locate the the lower of the two outlets, this is the 10-pin receptacle for the [electronic] cable release. either mc-20 or mc-30, remote IR control, or whatever other exotica you want, need, or possess.

my favourite is the MC-20 which doubles for nearly everything except coffee making. you can use it as a traditional cable release, timer, sequencer, etc. etc. and it can run your camera for 999 hours or so. just like to mention that small neat feature :D

I have 4-5 of the MC-20 stocked in all my vests, bags, backpacks, and of course in the boot of my car.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

$100 isn't much for an accessory which lasts for decades :)

4. Bjorn,

So you have the 100 one. What is the difference between the MC-30 and the 20? The MC-30 is only 59.00 dollars.

Thanks,

5. I lost my manuel and I can't find the post for it. Can you provide me with a link to the manuel for the X.

Thanks,

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

mc-30 is not suitable for coffee-making :) On a more serious note, get the MC-20. It has everything you need and more.

7. marc

marc Guest

why do you even need the cable release?

what specifically will you use it for?

why buy something you may use once every year?

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I use it every day. It is an indispensible accessory. That is, if you want to have sharp images and use a tripod.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The MC-30 just releases the shutter.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm also curious about the differences betwee the two. If it's just timer functionality for long exposures that's probably not something I would pay extra for.

What about the little IR remote that cameras like the D70 use, can that be used with the D2x?

11. ML-3 IR remote...

There is another remote for the D2X called the Nikon ML-3. I believe that you only need the transmitter portion (looks like a small TV remote control) for the D70, but for the D2X you need the full kit that contains both the transmitter and the receiver. The receiver connects to the hot shoe on top of the camera (mounting point only, it doesn't use any of the contacts in the hot shoe mount). I has a pigtail cable that plugs into the 10 pin remote connector on the front of the D2X where the other remotes described in this thread also would connect. The receiver can be swiveled 360 degrees so that it can "see" the remote. The remote has a two stage shutter button on it that functions like the one on the camera. Push it half way to activate AF and exposure metering, and push it all the way down to take the shot. There is a setting on the remote for Single Servo mode (S), Continuous Servo mode (C), and Delay. The Delay waits about 3 sec after you press the remote shutter button and then takes the shot. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...u=37754&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
    [/quote]

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What ever Bjorn says ,,,,,, I believe it.

Look at his acomplishments...WOW Fantastic. Appreciate his life long devotion to HIS sport, so to speak :>)))))

Love his car.. :>)))

He has more stuff in there than B&H and Ritz put together. Besides they don't carry the neat things he has :>)))))

13. I want to use it to make sharper images and to use it for IR pictured. I feel it gives a better picure. So that is that. I will get one.

14. D2X Cable Release

If you don't have a cable release available, just use the self timer. You will get the same sharp image you are looking for.

Enjoy, Bill

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Timing the photographic event while using the self-timer can be very frustrating. For example, if you shoot flowers, you are ensured a gale will start blowing the instance you activate the self-timer :D

For truly stationary objects, the self-timer is an inconvenient but useful substitute (if you avoid bumping the camera while activating the timer).

16. marc

marc Guest

hi melissa,

the cable release is excellent if you are shooting at slow shutter speeds, or doing closup macro photography, use mirror up on precomposed shots, but for normal everday use. it is inconvenient. have you ever seen a photographer on tv using a cable release.

you see them using monopods, to hold heavy long lens.
    but i venture no cable release.

if you want to take good, clean, sharp photos use correct lens, shutter speed and aperture.
    do this, put d2x in shutter priority, go outside and have your subject with the sun over your right or left shoulder.

set camera speed at 1/500 of a second if good light and point camera at your subject and look in viewfinder at what aperture the camera has picked for this shot.

if you are happy with what you have , hold camera in your right hand, with your left hand holding lens and your elbows tucked as close to your body as possible. the palm of your left hand should be under the lens barrel and facing up toward the sky. this will give stability.

now slowly depress shutter button, focus and then finish your shot.

if you take your time hold camera in some position similar to my description and depress shutter, focus and shoot. you should get good result.
    remeber you must hold camera steady until shot is completed, do not move until you hear shutter release.

let us know if this helps to get sharper photos.

17. In my film days i never took a macro shot without a tripod, mirror lock and a cable release on all the slr camera I owned. That makes a big difference in sharpness specially that i use kodachrome 25 all the time in those days.

18. Thanks Marc,

I am looking to use it for IR photography and macro work and other work so I ordered the cable release so it should be here in a few days. Sad that it is 105.00 but I think if I take care of it, it will last a long time.