Can the aperture ring be used with a D300?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Anthony8858, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I'm sorry for the amateur question.

I'm an ex-Canon person, and I'm still getting introduced to Nikon glass.
    I recently picked up some Nikon primes.
    A few have the aperture ring on the lens barrel.
    Is there any use for this?

I'm a little confused.

Thanks

2. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    You can, but you probably don't want to. Page 308 in the D300 manual describes how to set custom setting f7 so that you can use the aperture ring instead of the command dial to set aperture. But if you do this you lose lots of functionality such as 1/3 ev increments in aperture, access to shutter priority mode, live view etc.

Most likely you just want to lock the aperture ring at the smallest aperture and leave it there.

3. Thanks Tim.

I guess it was more out of curiosity, than functionlity.

I appreciate the reply.

4. Sure you can, but the only reason to is if you have an older manual focus AIS lens. Welcome Nikon!

5. You don't lose access to S and P modes as long as you leave the aperture ring at it's smallest setting when in those modes.

Ronnies

6. Yes

Yes you can, when using older AI-S designs and lenses, otherwise you set it to the smallest aperture and use the camera to close it down or open it, piece of cake really :smile:

7. I should have been more specific.

I have a 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, and the 180 f/2.8.
    All three of those lenses are AF, and have aperture rings on them.
    I was wondering if I could use them with the D300.

8. OK, some of your answers turned out to be wrong.

I do NOT have to be using older AI-S designs and lenses.
    (Thought I'd correct that)

I set the custom function setting 7 to aperture ring. This simply enabled the aperture ring on the lens, and disabled the control wheel on the camera.
    It also worked fine in all modes with any lens with an aperture ring.
    Thanks

9. Anthony, I think those of us who said to do it with AIS lenses weren't saying you can't but rather, there's no reason to with a newer lens. It's much faster and intuitive to use the wheel. I come from the "old days" of using the aperture ring, and the wheel on the body is much nicer to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.