Can the Lexar XQD reader deal with a Sony XQD card?

I think it should be able to read it, but before I buy a Sony card one at Sony’s new inflated prices I’d like to be sure. I have the little Lexar XQD card reader, it came with my Lexar XQD card. It’s looking like I might never be able to get another Lexar card and am looking at picking up a Sony card but don’t want to be carrying two readers around. My other option is to do the in camera copy of the XQD card to the SD card, and then read the SD card. This XQD card mess has turned into a real PIA.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
At this moment I am used the Sony MRW-E90 XQD reader with my Lexar 2933X 64 GB XQD card. I like the reader because it also handles SD cards.

Poking around on the net I think it’ll the Sony G cards will work with my Lexar reader. Maybe someone locally has one I can try. Found this in the Q&A on B & H

will a lexar xqd card reader be able to read the sony xqd card?

That’s what it’s made for, to read those cards. Doesn’t matter who the manufacturer is
Answered by JACK C. purchased on Jul 9, 2017 REPLYInaccurate

As others have stated, there is ZERO reason I can think of that it wouldn't be able to read the card. There are companies--like Hoodman--that made readers before they made cards (I think), and all cards it was capable of reading were read in it. A card is a card is a card, and a reader is a reader is a reader. If there was something specific to a manufacturers' cards and readers, then cameras would also have a problem with them.
Answered by Samuel B. purchased on May 14, 2017 REPLYInaccurate

Yes, the Lexar XQD card reader works with the Sony cards. I also have a Sony card reader, which I very much prefer because it will also read SD cards.

Last edited:
I think it should be able to read it, but before I buy a Sony card one at Sony’s new inflated prices I’d like to be sure. I have the little Lexar XQD card reader, it came with my Lexar XQD card. It’s looking like I might never be able to get another Lexar card and am looking at picking up a Sony card but don’t want to be carrying two readers around. My other option is to do the in camera copy of the XQD card to the SD card, and then read the SD card. This XQD card mess has turned into a real PIA.
I just saw this or I would have chimed in earlier. I have the Lexar LRWXQDU-7000 Rev A reader (came with a 64 mb lexar card when I bought it eons ago) and it reads Lexar as well as Sony cards no probs..

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Beware. Lexar XQDs have been unavailable for a long time. I've found advertised prices are great.....until they tell you they are out of stock. Occasionally you can find private parties selling their XQD card. And they are bought immediately buy some lucky sole! LOL!

They were rumored to be coming back in June, but didn't. Saw a report on Nikon rumors that we're not likely to see any Lexar XQD product this year. Now that I know I can read the Sony cards, it's less important to find a Lexar version. Micron ( located here in Idaho made them), I was involved in some early discussions to buy one of their stateside fabs many years ago - it was cheaper to build our own.

I use the Sony first and second generation XQD cards in my Lexar WorkFlow card reader hub. The Lexar XQD card reader modules for that device are generation specific, so I have two - one for each generation. Don't know if that applies to other Lexar XQD readers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom