Can you do Selective Color in NX?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Minuteman3, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I have been reading the thread on selective color in PS with some interest as I'd like to try that at some point. I'd also need to use PSE as I'm not much of an Adobe guy ...

But ... is there a way to do the same thing in NX? I haven't come across any mention of that capability so perhaps it doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. Well, since we've had no takers in 10 days, I'll assume the answer is a resounding "NO" ... it can't be done in NX!!

Thanks ... if there ever comes a time when I want to do this, I guess I'll have to break down and learn some PS stuff, eh?

Cheers!!

Ken

3. Bump.. I'm not sure this is the right answer. Anyone?

Of course you could read the friendly manual. :wink:

Rich

4. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Just did this real quick to see if it could be done, so not the greatest example. Go to filter, black and white conversion. Then use the "minus brush to erase the black and white from the areas you want to leave in color. That's it! Pretty simple.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

5. Cool! I was watching this thread to see how to do it.

Thanks Sharon!

6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    What is the "minus brush" you refer to in NX? i can't seem to find it.

7. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Dave, I think it is actually called the selection brush. You want to click on the "minus" sign next to it to remove the black and white. I hope you can see it in this screen shot.
    [​IMG]

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Sharon, that was it. I guess I wasn't being intuitive enough as I was clicking on that but not using the tool. *sigh* Oh well, I'm glad you explained it enough so I know how to do it now. Thanks!

9. Cool ... thanks so much!! I was hoping I could continue to avoid PS!!

Cheers!!

Ken

10. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    You're both very welcome. Glad I was able to help. Now if they would just add a clone tool, I would see little need for PS for the most part. Have fun with your selective coloring!

11. There are several ways you can manipulate colors on the photo. You can use the brush not only for the B&W conversion, but on anything, like color, contrast even levels. This is really good if you only want to do selective sharpening... Also you can use the gradient tool (just right of the brush) to say have one half of the photo B&W change gradually into color.
    Another way you can play is use colorize, and paint the area you want to change, apply, and this will apply the color to that area. You then from the history on the right side reselect color, and from its pull down select what you want to do in that area (e.g. B&W, or change color or saturation or if you want to only apply sharpening). Hope all this make sense....:wink:

Nikon PDF Tutorial downloads
    NIKON TUTORIAL PDF DOWNLOADS

Here's a handy little explanation from Nikon about NX
    NIKON TUTORIAL