Can you ID this tail?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by triangular, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hello all, here is a shot of an old classic era car that I took during a car show in Ubud, Bali. I'm not much of an old car buff myself, so unfortunately I did not record the details of what these old cars were that I was shooting. However I'd appreciate if someone here could help me figure it out. Please let me know if you think you know what this car is. So far its the only shot I've processed, but there will be more to follow.

[​IMG]

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It's a late 50's, not Chevy.

3. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    As close as I can tell it is a Plymouth I believe, Maybe a 1957..
    jmo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  4. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    I think Plymouth too, or maybe Chrysler.

5. Post '54 / pre '58 Studebaker or Packard.

Problem with this stuff is that the different Models of the same year had different light designs so it makes IDing this stuff something for the aficionado.

My money is on a Packard.

6. Packard (and its sister Studebaker) had wider vertical lights in the mid to late 50's. I would agree with either the Plymouth or Dodge - around 57 or so.

The yellow lens is not US as far as I can tell. They would have been red in the US. Only problem I am having with the Chrysler product idea is that the trunk ornament is not right - if my memory serves me. Both the Dodge and Plymouth had a much larger chrome winglike ornament.

Still - I vote for something in the Mopar family.

7. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    This one is tough. My initial thought was Chrysler/Plymouth, but it doesn't look right for that, at least not any that I've seen. Hopefully, you can get a few more shots of this car up, I'm really interested in the answer.

8. Well, its possible I may have a shot including more of this car as part of a background, but I won't get another chance as I took these shots last year. I'll see what else I have and post the whole set to my online gallery, then maybe somebody will have a better chance of figuring it out. I'll post again once I've got the rest of the images up. Thanks for the help.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I was thinking Mopar, also at first, but I did some checking and can't come close to a match. The Studebaker seems more possible.

10. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    That's a tough one. The colors look mopar but the round brake light makes me think more studebaker..... We had a 56 Dodge(i think coronet?) with that same color scheme when I was kid. I don't remember the brake lights being round though...... Interesting to see what it really is.....

11. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    DeSoto?

12. Definately not a MOPAR, Ford or GM and I seriously doubt that it is an orphan (Nash, Packard, Hudson or Studebaker) from the 50's or early 60's.

Given that the photo was taken in Bali, and that the car has a GM "look" my guess would be that it is either a Holden (60-61 FB) or possibly a Vauxhall Australian variant.

Need a car nut from Oz to weigh in here...

13. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Holden works. Thanks to Woody for posting in the General area HERE and Conrad for the info.

Here is a link to a 1961 Holden EK that is sporting the mystery tail light.

I'm glad that's over....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017