1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can you identify this?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by David_Bailey, Aug 2, 2008.

1. I know lots of you Airplane types can. I'm in California and took this today at NASA Ames Research Center in Mtn. View. You can see the NASA hangers in the background.

2724548042_209c40ab23_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Scotty_A

Scotty_A

Oct 20, 2006
    Maine
    Looks like a variant of a P-3 Orion.

Scotty A.

3. That is correct. It was used by NASA and the Navy from the early 60's until a few years ago.

4. Scotty_A nailed it. And as David said, it was an anti-submarine warfare type used by the Navy. It was developed from the civilian Lockheed Electra airliner.

5. Very cool. I just learned from someon else that they would drag a pod from the rear of the plane into the water and it would search for subs like a fish finder.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Also currently used by the national hurricane centers too, I think they have two of them, or used to?

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  8. THE CAFE continues to amaze me
    i learn something new every time i sit down to peruse the threads
    .... often, like here... my new-found knowledge has nothing to do with photography... which is a wonderful thing

thanks for this thread and all the replies

9. Now I am dating myself I used to ride that Lockheed Electra to Florida when i was young

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.