Can you use a $179 Sigma 24-60EX 2.8 on a D3?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 9, 2008.

1. I bought this lens a few months ago from Cameta. It came with a severe front focus problem, which I was expecting. Sigma replaced the lens CPU for me , and now it seems to be focusing on the money. I used it a bit on my previous D300, but only liked it under flash. There was something about the color & bokeh that tuned me out. I just took it outside to shoot a couple. While the bokeh still looks a bit rough, it seems that maybe the FF D3 could be a better match up for this big 77mm piece of EX glass. Cameta says the lens is discontinued.

This is a quick ISO400 at F2.8, as the sun has already gone. I don't know, I want to give this lens a chance, there is so much glass to cover the FF.

If anyone cares to comment, feel free.

Mike

click on image for larger view

_DSC1218.jpg

2. I know this lens has a bit of a following in Canon-land and it seen as an excellent lens on 5D. So it should work well on the D3. Its geneally considered to be better than the highly regarded Sigma 24-70 f/2.8.

I've used it on a Canon 30D and its a very impressive, very good at f/2.8 and once you hit f/4 it can give anything a run for its money. Bokeh was a bit choppy I guess.

3. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    How does this lens compare to the Sigma 24-70?

4. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I hated my sigma 24-70... WAAAAY too soft wide open.