1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Can you use a $179 Sigma 24-60EX 2.8 on a D3?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 9, 2008.

1. I bought this lens a few months ago from Cameta. It came with a severe front focus problem, which I was expecting. Sigma replaced the lens CPU for me , and now it seems to be focusing on the money. I used it a bit on my previous D300, but only liked it under flash. There was something about the color & bokeh that tuned me out. I just took it outside to shoot a couple. While the bokeh still looks a bit rough, it seems that maybe the FF D3 could be a better match up for this big 77mm piece of EX glass. Cameta says the lens is discontinued.

This is a quick ISO400 at F2.8, as the sun has already gone. I don't know, I want to give this lens a chance, there is so much glass to cover the FF.

If anyone cares to comment, feel free.

Mike

click on image for larger view

_DSC1218.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I know this lens has a bit of a following in Canon-land and it seen as an excellent lens on 5D. So it should work well on the D3. Its geneally considered to be better than the highly regarded Sigma 24-70 f/2.8.

I've used it on a Canon 30D and its a very impressive, very good at f/2.8 and once you hit f/4 it can give anything a run for its money. Bokeh was a bit choppy I guess.

3. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    How does this lens compare to the Sigma 24-70?

4. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I hated my sigma 24-70... WAAAAY too soft wide open.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.