Can you use the SB 24 as a slave?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by BrendaC, Aug 15, 2008.

1. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a D200, SB 800 and an SB600. Can I use the SB 24 as another light? Was thinking of using it as a hairlight. Thanks.

2. Best slave under the sun....but you need to shoot with it in manual...or maybe auto....as there is no CLS.

GenoP

3. You also need something to fire it in sync. An optical slave can be plugged into the PC cord hole, I think. Anyone know for sure?

4. A Nikon SU-4 is what you need..........THat's why they have that setting in the newer flashes.

GenoP

5. Hi, Geno! Even if he gets an su-4 for his sb24, won't he still have to give up ttl?

6. Plan-B : Use the SB24 in "A" mode on the camera and the SB800 on SU mode [whatever it's called ] as the remote flash and you will have auto on the main flash and could set the SB800 to "A" mode as well .
    You would have to set the aperture reading on both flashes manually though but will not have to buy any extra gear .... You may need to experiment a bit though .

7. The answer is yes, provided you're willing to sacrifice the advantages of iTTL. But imho you'd be better off selling the sb24 for $50 and spending $150 to replace it with an sb600.

8. Brenda wants to use it as a hairlight. I think it would work well. I would put it in manual and just dial it down till I got the desired effect. Personally, I wouldn't care if I lost iTTL, as I would use the other strobes on manual, and meter with a flash meter.

9. Right, but you're an experienced pro, Rod. As has been pointed out, iTTL is a very effective point & shoot approach to flash photography, which is what most amateurs want. If Brenda didn't want iTTL, she wasted her money buying an sb800 and sb600 to begin with.

And not only amateurs... even Dave Hobby speaks very highly of CLS/AWL and uses wireless iTTL for many of his personal flash pictures.

10. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I will wait and buy an0ther SB600. I am still very much an amatuer. I am still learning to use my camera in manual even though for years that's all I had (Pentax K1000).
    Thanks Rod for your inut but it seems a little overwhelming to me right now.

11. You are welcome Brenda. Have you looked at the thread here called "This information helped me?" It's a sticky in the general category.

I added a great tutorial site that I am sure you will find useful on portraiture (mostly studio)here: http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/index.html

12. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Rod,
    Thanks for the tips, will be looking at that later today.

13. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US