Canada Day Fireworks

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by brianhare, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Here`s some shots i took at Canada Day Celebrations in Moncton today.I need a camera with mirror lock up as some were ruined from shake...:biggrin:

Brian

DSC_3392pb.jpg

DSC_3401pb.jpg

DSC_3407pb.jpg

DSC_3410pb.jpg

DSC_3415pb.jpg

DSC_3418pb.jpg

DSC_3424pb.jpg

DSC_3428pb.jpg

DSC_3431pb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  2. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    how soon after the "explosion" do you close the shutter?

3. latazyo,i usually set my exposure for 2-3 seconds at f8,but last night i decided to go with 4-6 seconds at f10.I release the shutter when i hear the first launch(i want the streamers that go from the ground up to the explosion.I also wanted as many explosions as possible in each shot.You will find that each firework will have a different light intensity so it`s pretty hard to not get some blown highlights.But if you shot Raw you can go into NX later and under expose the shot and apply highlight protection as necessary.

Oh,and if you have the shutter close after the explosion has died right out of sight you get the nice long streams of light.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  4. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    thanks a lot Brian,

I am prepping for friday night

I plan on using the 50/1.8

I think it will be wide enough

5. Very pretty, Brian. Thanks for explaining your technique.

6. Not a problem glad you enjoyed them,i also found shooting in portrait orientation was best too, as some of the fireworks really get up there in height..and depending on how close you can get 50mm might be good,but i`d take a 18-70 or similar with me,zoom is nice for this work..

Brian

7. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice work!

8. How far away from the action were you?

9. I would say if you release the shutter when you see what you want you will get it. Also pressing the release when you see the launch till it explodes works fine also. Lowest ASA and F8 or 9.

10. I`d be guessing,about 1/2 mile or better .

Brian

11. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    Nice shots!

12. Thanks for looking everyone,glad you enjoyed them.

Brian

13. stupendous!! Wow these photos were very nice!