Canada geese in fall colours

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Elf_8, Oct 4, 2005.

1. There was a flock of them in a protected area on the river that passes one block from my home. The park is about 15 minutes from home. Does anyone know how to differentiate between male and female ?
    38676419-L.

2. The only way to tell them apart is by their behavior most particularaly in the breeding season :confused:

3. Oh, well then... :redface:

4. Hi Elf_8, Here in Jersey we have millions of them all over the place and wish they would fly back to Canada where they belong...but no, they don't migrate :mad:

Anthony

5. Are you saying that millions of geese in NJ spend the entire year there without migrating ?

6. Christian, we even have some in Toronto which stay all winter. They keep asking people not to hand feed them but nooooo, no one listens! They stick around the parks, open waterways, etc all winter long and they seem to survive. Canada Geese and cormorants - no getting rid of them!

7. Christian that's beautiful the geese with the reflection in the water. I have not seen any on my last trip to the park, normaly there's a lot of them. The only sign of a wild animal was the garbage can that was attack by a bear, he tear some thick wood from the side to get to the lunch.

8. Nothing like that yet here... though there are complaints about them saying here in the south during the summer. I've read a bit on the subject and learned that these modification in their behaviour is due in part to the global warming, and in part to the cultivated fields that have created a new niche they have adapted to.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Christian,

I know how to tell, but you gotta look real close....

Oh, yeah. I forgot that this is a family oriented site. :redface:

10. Yes sure. I guess Daddy Goose and Mommy Goose are also strongly family oriented. :cool: