1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canada Geese in Flight and Catbird fledgling

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cre8foru, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Went back out this morning with the advice from several folks on here and shot these two. I'm really looking for anything flying to practice on. Seems like you guys know what you are talking about. I switched to Aperture priority. Switched from matrix to centered weighted metering(this did improve shutter speed even though this is still 1/640 at 800 iso in bright sunlight), and I switched focus tracking and lock on to short from normal. Would love to have the tripod that was suggested but funds are tight now. Anyway thought the flight photo was better. I realize its kinda busy and not a great shot but the focus and sharpness are better I think. I also was surprised at the DOF considering it was shot wide open(5.6 with TC).
    Thanks, Everyone for the advice and comments. It's always welcome.
    original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This little guy got all wrapped up in a spider web trying to get the spider.
    View attachment 225591

2. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    Did he at least get the spider?

3. very cool.. the geese are against a tough bg, as the sensors like that contrast, so getting them in focus is great... you are using afc right? also, set your camera to focus + shutter for release., and I think I told you the rear AF button is the best way to activate focus.

4. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Yes I am using AF-ON ever since you told me about it and love it. I actually tried switching it back off the other day and it about drove me crazy. Yea I was happy with the focus acquisition against this busy background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.