Canada Goose

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Sep 11, 2005.

1. I went to a local park yesterday to shoot some Snow Geese but came home with these. I haven't had much luck with my new 80-400 VR focusing on these guys but I thought that these two shots came out OK.

I need some advice/tips on panning. If someone could help me with that I'd sure appreciate it!

Both are the same bird. D70, 80-400 VR, monopod.

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

At the size that you posted these look just fine. As for panning, this is something that most of us struggle with. As a matter of fact, I practiced all week last week on just my panning technique. I believe that you are shooting from a monopod, right? I did also until about 4 or 5 months ago, and finally switched to a tripod. Before my switch, I thought that I was pretty good at panning. Since the switch, I've had to re-learn the entire process. OTOH, I think that I get much steadier shots from the tripod.

I can tell you the one thing that I did when I shot from a monopod that seemed to help my panning technique. I made sure that the lens collar was loose, and just tilted the monopod from side to side, while trying to keep the camera level. I found that this worked pretty well. This may be far below your current technique, but it's the best that I can do. :rolleyes:

BTW, I also used a Wimberley Sidekick on my monopod. That helped tremendously.

3. Thanks Frank. You're the second person to suggest a tripod. I'll have to give it a try.

How do you practice? Do you go to where you normally go to shoot or do you just shoot anything from your backyard?

Thanks!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I'm a pretty stubborn guy. I shot from a monopod for over a year before finally giving in and moving to a tripod. I thought that I was getting some pretty good shots, but I'll have to admit, I'd never go back now. There is no doubt that my shots are better. From time to time, I get the monopod back out for a few shots, and that's all it takes to reaffirm this.

As I said before though, your panning will actually get more difficult, because you really can't swing the tripod like you can a monopod. As for practice, I go to the local duck / goose pond and set up where the birds tend to fly by in front of me. I've spent many hours there. In my case, practice many not make perfect, but there's no doubt that it makes you better. I usually shoot with the 300 2.8 with the 1.4 TC, for a focal length of 420mm. This gives a field of view of about 6 degrees. Keeping a bird that takes up a third of your viewfinder centered in the viewfinder has a tolerance of two degrees in front and in back of the bird before you chop off part of the beak or tail. When the bird is flying by at 30 or more MPH, that's a pretty good challenge for me. That's why practice is so important. :wink:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  6. Thanks Frank and Paul! I'm going to run down to the pond this morning and try a few things...

Looks like I'm going to have to convince the wife that a new tripod and tripod head are in order! :eek: