Canadian National Squash Championships

I believe I posted prior to shooting this event and promised you guys/gals some shots...this is the follow up.

First of all...this was a lot of fun! I learned a lot about shooting fast moving athletes and got some great exposure for my photography within the squash community in Toronto/Canada.

The National Squash Academy is delighted with the pics and wants to do a bunch of poster sized prints around the club as well as use them on their web site etc.

Here's a few:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!!!

Excellent series. #2 and #4 are outstanding! I miss the sport which I used to play in college.

Tri:smile:

really enjoyed seeing some squash photos on the forum,well done...#4 and #9 are my pic as they really capture the essence of the sport...#8 would have too if they were both in the frame but you already know that! good work!!

Thanks Nigel!

I should add that the men in these shots are some of the best players in the world and the very best in Canada.

Shahir Razik, the player in the background of #4 and #6 is ranked # 28 in the World and won the tournament. He faced Shawn Delierre -- the player in the foreground of #1, 7, 9, and 10. Delierre is ranked # 55 in the world.

Just for perspective, as most of this forum are based in the United States...you finally have a player in the top 50 - Julian Illingworth ranked #33 in the world. For many many years the U.S. hasn't had a player in the top 100! I really can't understand why the game isn't bigger in the U.S.?

The World Top 10 looks like this:

1 Nick Matthew ENG
2 Ramy Ashour EGY
3 Karim Darwish EGY
4 James Willstrop ENG
5 Amr Shabana EGY
6 Gregory Gaultier FRA
7 Peter Barker ENG
8 Thierry Lincou FRA
9 Mohamed El Shorbagy EGY
10 Mohd Azlan Iskandar MAS

Egypt is disproportionately represented in the top 10 of squash and they always have been. Brilliant squash players!

Jonathon Power retired at #1 in 2006 and is the best Canadian to have ever played the game!

Once in a while, I would go to Houston (2 hrs away) to play a pick-up game because there is no squash players where I live. When I was in school in San Antonio in the 80's, I got to play with Hashim in an exhibition. He rolled out so many shots. I never saw so many balls hit the crack! I also had a chance to watch the Houston Open in 1988(?) and saw Jahangir play as well. I do miss the game a lot.

Tri

Delighted to see that this post has some folks rekindling their love for squash. It really is a brilliant game! There is no better workout over 40 minutes! All you need to do is book a court with one other player for 40 minutes!

Once in a while, I would go to Houston (2 hrs away) to play a pick-up game because there is no squash players where I live. When I was in school in San Antonio in the 80's, I got to play with Hashim in an exhibition. He rolled out so many shots. I never saw so many balls hit the crack! I also had a chance to watch the Houston Open in 1988(?) and saw Jahangir play as well. I do miss the game a lot.

Tri
The squash term for rolling out shots or "hitting the crack" is....

..hitting the nick. Or nicking out.

Glad you like them!

This brings back good memories..
I played for 25 years...until my back gave up.
Otherwise I would have never stopped playing.

Dont see Squash pictures very often because of the difficulty of the regular courts.
But the glass court really you capture the physical hability required to play at that level.
Thanks.

This brings back good memories..
I played for 25 years...until my back gave up.
Otherwise I would have never stopped playing.

Dont see Squash pictures very often because of the difficulty of the regular courts.
But the glass court really you capture the physical hability required to play at that level.
Thanks.
The glass courts and the windows at the front of the court are absolutely brilliant!

No question.

very well done, that camera slot gave you some great access, and no reflections off the back glass...some great intense expressions - maybe dodge his face a bit in #4 so we can see it better.
I've gone back and done some dodging to the faces and it makes a big difference! Thanks for the tip!

Fantastic shots, the side angle really gives them a zing!

I played for a little while, but being inside I got too sweaty! Prefer outdoors.

It's nice to see something different.

It appears that most of the times the balls were close to the floor. I guess that's how the pros played, making it difficult for the opponents to return the ball.

Not that you can do anything about it, it is unfortunate the lighting in the court cast shadows on the players' eyes and faces.

A bit of an update for you:

These photos have been a terrific opportunity for me to get my name out there. Over the weekend Jonathon Power ( greatest squash player ever!) linked to my shots on his facebook. My smugmug got 4000 image views that night and has gotten 10,000 image views over the last 4 days!

Today I got a note from the head of Squash Canada asking if they could use some of my images for the new website that they are launching in September!

All of this has caught me with my pants down. My smugmug images are without watermarking and were in full resolution...changed that the other night. The barn door is open, the horse is gone.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to monetize this sort of shoot for the future but really aren't that upset due to all the exposure it has gotten me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom