1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cancelled Concert... (pics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Jun 30, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok tonight there was supposed to be a concert in the park. It was already rained out yesteday, tonight was the rain date. I was really hoping to get some shots of the groups performing. They were also going to be doing a USO type show in honor of the Troops. So needless to say it poured tonight too, and again the show was cancelled. My son was freaking out, so we decided to take him for ice cream at this place called Ricky's Ice Cream Parlor and Candy Store. I busted out the camera with my new Nikon 17-55 2.8 and snapped away. I hope you like them. Please let me know what you think of them, compositionally, artistically, etc. I'm trying to improve all that good stuff. :biggrin:

bucketsofcandy.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 218439

View attachment 218440

View attachment 218441

View attachment 218442

View attachment 218443

View attachment 218444

View attachment 218445

2. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Are these images THAT horrible that no one can offer any advice, or let me know what they think of them? I was sooooo trying to be a lil artisitc, and get out of my realm of ALWAYS taking shots of my kids. Plus the fact that I always have my camera with me, but for some reason I'm always so apprehensive, and embarassed to take it out and just USE IT. I finally didn't care who was around or watching me and just enjoyed doing this.

3. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    nice stuff joe, i particularly like this one
    also, what color mode are you using in that d80?
    lollipops.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx Anthony. The color mode is set on Adobe RGB. I played around with the saturation in PP on most of these shots.

5. I think these are pretty darn good! What you should do is talk to the owner of the shop and see if they have/need any shots for their website if they have one...

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    WOW!! Thanx Keith. That means ALOT to me especially after seeing the INCREDIBLE images you've posted here!!!!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    :Teeth: Jelly Beans!!!!!!!!!! I want Jelly Beans. :biggrin: Nice colors in all the shots.

8. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx Seneca!! I've been trying to shoot in RAW, and I played with the saturation on these to try and make the colors POP. Not sure if I could have done anything differently.

9. I twisted a few dials to get the colors to really pop. (I asked for permission first, in case anyone cares.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are two split-screens, showing the comparison of the two images... top half is the dial tweaks, bottom half is the original on both:

[​IMG]
    (notice the differences in the green and blue beans in the picture below!)
    [​IMG]

Definitely subtle differences, but sometimes a little tweak goes a looong way. :biggrin:

I brought the images into CS2, then went into levels. For all of your images, since you're really interested in the colored areas the dark areas are of very little concern (IMHO). So I bought up the bottom end (dark end) on the levels slider some*. That gave the pictures some added contrast which helps, but darkened the colors. (wrong way!!)

Soooo, then I went into curves. I held down the control key, which told photoshlop that I wanted to make a new control point on the curve. Then, I picked a point on a jellybean that needed more 'zing', making sure not to pick a point that is a highlight from a reflected light. Clicked once, and that gave me a new anchor point on the curve line.

Then, simply pushed the up arrow key a few times until I had the amount of 'boost' to the midrange that I wanted. Definitely wasn't much, but enough to make the colors be almost (but not quite) technicolor.

* I brought up the levels slider more than I normally would when looking at a histogram. That deliberately crushes the blacks, but these pictures aren't about the blacks, they're about the colors. So WHO CARES if you crush the blacks? :biggrin:

10. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I like them!! The diferences are very sublte, but it DEFINITELY makes a big difference in how the colors look.

11. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    when i had my d80, i used to use color mode III and bump the sat up. i would get pop right out of the camera

12. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I really like the colors and the repetitive parallel alignment in many pictures, but one thing that makes it hard for me to say "perfect" is that the lighting reflects off a lot of the plastics that creates the white glow. But that's not your fault at all since I'm sure the effects were from the well-lit store.

13. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Anthony. I just changed my color mode to III. What amount did you change your in camera saturation to?

Thanx Jerry. That reflection might also be caused by my flash, I used it for fill flash.

14. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    i think it was saturation +, also -0.3 or -0.7 exposure compensation when outdoors with matrix metering.
    most of these are out of camera jpegs taken with my d80
    http://anthonyc.zenfolio.com/p145680090/?photo=h1589C189#361349513

but when shooting people, color mode I worked better for skin tones

15. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Those shots are AWEOSME!!! Is there a way to change between color modes quickly? Or is the ONLY way to achieve that is by using the menu?

16. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    thanks joe, very nice of you to say.
    i dont remember to be honest. but with those shots, i shot everything with mode III.
    i would use mode I for when i was doing family pictures, ect. the best thing is to try everything and see what you think looks best to you.

17. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I have to admit that this series of shots is the FIRST time I've gotten out of my comfort zone with my camera. The first time I've tried to be creative. Usually I'm just snapping shots of my kids. No one pays attention when you do that. The best thing that happened for me, was the night we had the get together hosted by Larry (theclam). It made me WANT to get out and take pictures of things I find interesting, that night was a big break through for me. Hopefully I can continue to improve and get even more creative. I sure have enough inspiration of stunning images that are posted on this site!!

18. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Mode IIIa (nature, landscape) has more vivid colors than mode Ia (people, portrait) but faces in modeIIIa can be a bit red.

If you choose the portrait mode next to auto P S A M it switches to Mode Ia

19. I would caution you about setting your saturation in the camera; that kind of defeats the purpose of shooting raw in the first place! That, plus my camera really gives me technicolor shots when I do that... sure, it looks great if you're shooting a beach ball, but people shouldn't look like clowns unless they have clown makeup on! ;) 

20. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok THANX for the HUGE amount of info!!! Mode IIIa for nature/landscapes, and Ia for people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.