Cancelling an AOL account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Julien, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Woaah , I've heard stories about people having a hard time trying to cancel their AOL account but this is crazy :actions1:
  2. Yeah AOL gets really bad. I signed up for a 1 month trial to get points for something that I don't even remember anymore and it took me over 30minutes on the phone to cancel the account. Non-stop "well we have this feature. You're going to miss it when it's gone.", "Let me tell you about this feature if you didn't know", blah blah blah. How many people actually change their minds after they call to cancel an account?
  3. When my son was in college 10 years ago, he had free AOL for over 3 years. He "couldn't" cancel, but they kept offering him another free 3 months to make up his mind .... over and over again.
    I don't know if that is still the case. You might have to pay now.:smile:
  4. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I tried to cancel an account about 12 years ago and it was the same then. I had to call my credit card company to not take AOL charges and that was the end of that!

- Jay
  5. RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I was on AOL back in the days when it was pretty good - it was in beta and open only to Mac users.

I canceled over 12 years ago, but I had stopped using it long before that. When I actually canceled I think I had some 5000 minutes left on my account. In those days, you just canceled online. It didn't take a phone call.

If I were in the situation now, I'd just send an email to stop the account and then call my CC company to de-authorize AOL charges.
  6. sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    This is an old video which made the rounds a while back when canceling an AOL account was extremely difficult. These days you can cancel your AOL account online or just call their number and you do not get hassled. I just canceled my 13 yr old account and all I was asked was whether I have a cable modem and I want to keep using my AOL email Id. The call lasted maybe 3 minutes. I did not have any problems because I do not use my AOL Id actively anyway. My cousin, however, had a different experience .... his AOL email was his primary email and he had a lot of difficulty accessing his email after he canceled. And once you cancel your account you do not get any free support so when he called AOL wanted to charge him to be redirected to a webmail site, and they did charge his credit card. They got upset with him when he called his CC company and de-authorized the AOL charges.
  7. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    A O Hell it has been known for years
    Now try to get that software out of you
  8. It's like trying to cancel sunset, isn't it!?
  9. RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    You mean like canceling sunrise. Having an active AOL account is like darkness with no light on the horizon.
  10. fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    oddly enough, i've never had a problem with AOL as far as cancelling goes. i did the old trial-and-cancel dance several times, and at most it was a 30 minute call. switching my account to the freebie deal was also painless.

either i'm lucky, or i'm more patient/oblivious :wink:

11. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Once these ISP companies get inside your machine, especially AOL, it's a virus, you cannot get rid of it. I seriously had to do a reinstall once to get it wiped clean... I told my daughter over and over, do not install AOL Instant messenger on my machines! It's a virus!
  12. HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    They would not know customer service if it bit them in the on your computer is like steping in dog pooey barefoot...its going to take some effort to clean the mess up but the thought of it will stay with you.
  13. sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    A few years ago I tried uninstalling the AOL software from a Windows 95 machine and it hosed everything, I lost internet connectivity. Luckily I did not need to have an internet connection with that computer (kids used it for homework :biggrin: ). It certainly is a virus and a very unforgiving one too.