Cancer update

In September of last year, I was diagnosed with clear cell renal carcinoma, thrombosis of the inferiour vena cava and pulmonary embolisms. Surgery to remove the kidney had to wait until the embolisms had stabilized. So in mid December I went under the knife. Unfortunately in that time span between September and December , the cancer had metastasized to the lungs and liver. They ended up removing the right kidney along with the adrenal gland. The thrombosis had grown up to behind the heart. That meant cracking open my chest to get to the thrombosis . After healing for a month, I met with my oncologist who put me on immunotherapy treatments. 4 treatments and 12 weeks, I got scanned this Wednesday. The results were given to me today. The tumors on the lungs and liver are greatly reduced. The remaining thrombosis in the IVC has shrunk. The pulmonary embolisms are gone. I have 24 immunotherapy treatments to look forward to. My next scan is in 3 months. I will continue to be on blood thinners but can take them orally and not by injection.

Best news is my right hand is probably 80% functional. During surgery they pinched the radial nerve. I had next to no use of my hand. It has now recovered sufficiently to let me operate the controls on the camera

As another cancer survivor, I am certainly sending prayers your way.
Fabulous news about the response.
I am 16years out and considered cured from colon ca. I still think about it everyday. It helps me remember none of us will be on this earth forever.
I read this quote often in the beginning, when my tests were equivocal and different doctors were recommending very different treatments. It was a very scary time for me and my family.
“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
Oh, and I still can't sing.
Best of luck. Go out and shoot some pictures.
Gary

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm an uro-oncologist, and I believe you are receiving Ipiimumab plus Nivolumab?

Real Name
Randy
I’m so sorry to hear you’re on the battle field.
Keep fighting the invader by ‘trying’ to get your mind off it, this is easier to say but it can be done by trying to shoot as much as you can.
We live in a new world of medicine with immune therapy drugs that do things we never thought would ever be possible. Some of the side effects can be a problem but nothing like traditional CHEMO. We’re here for you so share your feelings and plenty of us fighters and survivors will help. If you ever wanna talk call me, I’ve been cured 5 times and I’m back on the battle field....704-726-6875

Great news about your hand and the prognosis. Like many here my spouse is a 13 year survivor and it sure gives you a different perspective about what is, and what is not, important. As my sister-in-law said when she was diagnosed with a fairly aggressive form of cancer "No more cheap wine!" She's now coming on two years out and still enjoying the best stuff!

Real Name
Philip Armitage
when I hear some stories about cancer, I realise how lucky I was that I had a really thorough GP who suspected and got me into a program to treat mine at an early stage. A comprehensive biopsy and they knew exactly where to pin point the radiation. 15 minutes every day for 37 days was enough to kick it to touch. Good luck with your treatment

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm an uro-oncologist, and I believe you are receiving Ipiimumab plus Nivolumab?
That is right. The names of those meds are too tough to say. So I don’t try to remember them. They are dropping the Ipiimumab and continuing with the Nivolumab. Good thing about these treatments is the only side effect has been fatigue.

Hang in there Jbird, and keep on clicking. I'm sure there are brighter days ahead.

One year ago now I was just coming out of a 10-day coma from a stroke while traveling in Italy. Fully recovered now, and I faced nothing like what you are but it does help me to value every day.

Real Name
Tony Saya
Best wishes I am taking immunotheraphy Yervoy/Opdivo combo for Kidney Cancer that metastasized to liver it's a tough gig but as you know you fight the battle every day. Best wishes in your recovery.

Best wishes I am taking immunotheraphy Yervoy/Opdivo combo for Kidney Cancer that metastasized to liver it's a tough gig but as you know you fight the battle every day. Best wishes in your recovery.
We are going through the same treatment plan. Just different drug names. One is generic the other is brand name. Keep up the good fight. Stay positive. My oncologist was a lot more optimistic than when we laid out the treatment plan. Back then he said I had a 42% chance of living another 4 years. Now he is looking at a full cure. This is coming from one of the doctors who pioneered the treatment. He is the head of uro-oncology at MD Anderson in Houston.

It is just mind-blowing to read about how many of the Cafe family are either fighting cancer or have battled it in the past.

Jbird and the rest of you, my best wishes and prayers for your recovery.
Thanks for the well wishes. The tough part now is building up stamina. Hopefully with the change in immunotherapy treatment medication, only nuvomlab, the fatigue issue will get better.

Dear JBird – Cancer is such a difficult and unrelenting disease. Both of my parents died of small cell lung cancer after a tough fight and my best friend’s daughter has been fighting various forms of cancer for most of her life. My heart goes out to you as you continue your difficult journey and I can only hope you are successful in defeating this ugly foe.

Latest threads

Top Bottom