Candid of my Wife.

Discussion in 'People' started by neverman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. neverman

neverman

Jan 29, 2008
    Oregon
    She doesn't pose for me any longer (not like when we were young and digital cameras weren't born anyway) so I have to take snaps of her unawares...

This was at taken on the sidelines while I was shooting my son playing baseball. I was also the Manager so not a whole lot of consideration went into settings and composition. It came out nice and sharp I thought, she thinks she looks mean.

Honey, if you only knew. :Love:

[​IMG]

This may appear overly sharpened viewed on the web but it printed out well. Do most of you save multiple copies of a shot for different purposes like web viewing, printing, backgrounds, emailing? Image was sharpened and not much else. Scared of Photoshop for life.

Thanks for looking and helping me with my technique.

2. nice shot
    WILL she ever see this here?
    i surely hope NOT... for the sake of YOUR HEALTH... :tongue: :biggrin:

glad you shared it with us

3. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Very Nice! Intense Gaze! Thanks For Sharing!

4. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Kim,
    Nice shot. Tell her she doesn't look mean, just really intense.

5. Good photo, nice sharpness.
    To answer your question, I do save 2 or more copies, one high resolution for printing and another for the www. Plus, I convert to B-W just to see how the photo will look w/o color, and often save 1 or both in that converstion too. And I will duplicate an edited photo before saving, so I don't resave after resizing.

6. You could try softening her a bit and I bet she would like it.

Tweaked version:

original.gif

Original for comparison:

[​IMG]

Sometimes lenses are too sharp and show every pore and blemish. On women especially this makes them look harsh. Your wife is quite pretty and IMO the softened version helps bring that out. There are a number of ways to do this and here is one of them. If you are truly afraid of Photoshop then you might consider one of the many software helps such as Portrait Professional. It costs $50.00 and is automated and easy to use. The thing of it is, you already have Photoshop and by spending a little time using a tutorial such as the one I wrote it is free and will do the same thing. There are enough tips in that tutorial so as to take some of the fear of using Photoshop away and you will be able to go on from there with many other uses.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Totally agree with Gordon. I love what he did to the tweaked version.

8. I don't sharpen portraits of my wife or mother or mother in law. The older they get, the more smoothing I do. It's a good capture, but....
    If mama aint happy....
    Fred

9. gordon,
    well done....
    and if his wife happens to see this thread..... she'll be happy as well

kim... your wife is a very pretty lady...
    it's just that (most) gals aren't too fond of a "razor sharp" image...