Cannot access images on old DVDs

I wanted to take a look at some old DVDs in an effort to downsize and edit some old images.

I have a 2010, MBP with CD/DVD reader and a 2015 MBP with external CD/DVD reader, but neither will show any images when inserted. Any idea how to access these images?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Is your DVD still in full order?
reason I ask is that I have lost a lot of data from CDs and DVDs that did not age well due to the decay of the chemicals used. It was easy to spot as the light would go through them as if they had holes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is your DVD still in full order?
reason I ask is that I have lost a lot of data from CDs and DVDs that did not age well due to the decay of the chemicals used. It was easy to spot as the light would go through them as if they had holes.
<<Is your DVD still in full order?>> I don't understand?

I'm not sure what you are saying? "Light would not go through them as if they had holes'? How do I test this?

<<Is your DVD still in full order?>> I don't understand?

I'm not sure what you are saying? "Light would not go through them as if they had holes'? How do I test this?
Is it still in working order?
The layer inside the plastic cases degrades with time.
The data disappears as the inside layer disintegrates.
When you hold your DVD to a light you will see holes in the inside layer and you will be able to see through the DVD.
The plastic casing will be intact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Last edited:
how old are these DVD's? Unless you're using archive discs, they will degrade over time and that may be what you're running in to.

I recall that there was a recommendation to re-write all images that were stored on DVDs to new DVDs at not longer than five-year intervals.
The DVDs with a coloured-dye recording surface were supposed to be particularly vulnerable.

My suggestion to anyone who has any important images still stored solely on a DVD is to copy those images, without further delay, to something more stable.

Is it still in working order?
The layer inside the plastic cases degrade bet time.
The data disappears as the inside layer disintegrates.
When you hold your DVD to a light you will see holes in the inside layer and you will be able to see through the DVD.
The plastic casing will be intact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
Thanks so much. I do not see light passing through when holding up to a light source. And, see no apparent degradation. However, I did sort it out. The color change that is noticeable after burning a disc was not visible.

I grabbed 3 discs on the top of 3 different towers, and none of them worked. I was thinking it was DVD + or - R, but no. After reading your your first post, I thought, even though they have been stored in a cabinet, I sometimes leave it open, I grabbed a disc from the middle of the pile and it loaded perfectly. After more checking, only the top DVD of the 3 towers I checked were unreadable, so far. So, I suppose extraneous light hitting those top DVDs ruined them. I will see how it goes as I transfer them to an External Hard Drive.

I consider this lesson a win, however, I'm sure the top discs had that one in a million retirement images. Ha!

Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE="Ann_JS, post: 4081962, member: 11646"
My suggestion to anyone who has any important images still stored solely on a DVD is to copy those images, without further delay, to something more stable.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed! I'm on it, and transferring to an extra HD

Thanks so much. I do not see light passing through when holding up to a light source. And, see no apparent degradation. However, I did sort it out. The color change that is noticeable after burning a disc was not visible.

I grabbed 3 discs on the top of 3 different towers, and none of them worked. I was thinking it was DVD + or - R, but no. After reading your your first post, I thought, even though they have been stored in a cabinet, I sometimes leave it open, I grabbed a disc from the middle of the pile and it loaded perfectly. After more checking, only the top DVD of the 3 towers I checked were unreadable, so far. So, I suppose extraneous light hitting those top DVDs ruined them. I will see how it goes as I transfer them to an External Hard Drive.

I consider this lesson a win, however, I'm sure the top discs had that one in a million retirement images. Ha!

Thanks for your help!
I have them 18 YO with no issues, back then they were the thing. Everything copied.

It sounds like a format issue. Look around for an older combo DVD VHS player. Some of those accepted nearly all formats. These units were about 35$ new.
That's what I thought at first. Other DVDs are working well, now to check the CDs.

I was particularly bummed, because one of the DVDs was from a 70 mile solo hike I did in Yosemite from Wawona, to Glacier Point, to Muir Trail up Half Dome, then down the Falls Trail. Man, that hurt! Luckily, I found an old Lacie Ext HD, my first, I had to dig around for some cords and that folder was the first I copied to a HD! Yay!

Any older ones that don't work, will not have a back up!

Thanks, Bob

I went through this exercise last year and found most of my CDs and DVDs were corrupted in some way, with the exception of the ones that I had purchased and had software or games on them.
I backed up everything to hard disks.

If you have someone you can borrow an external DVD drive try that.
I found that my internal DVD drive was prone to failures.
My external works like a champ.

Y'all got my curiosity up, the oldest I could quickly lay my hands on was 2006. Popped into the Blu-ray player and it fired right up, new TV and stunning quality.
Tried on my computer and it played fine.

Everything I have in pictures is backed up in triplicate Ext drives, as I am sure we all are, but look at the delicate system we use, multiple spinning disk each with its own probing little sensor. created by some brilliant people. What would be nice is affordable SSD @ 6 TB.

The reflection in the disc is by design, a 9 blade 72" fan.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So, I have completed transferring my CDs and DVDs to an EXt HD, I am blind. I have another Ext HD coming via Covid snail mail for a second backup.

I have a total of 9 disks I could not open. They are all Maxell DVD-R. I'll find another, older external HD to borrow to see if that works.

I am missing an entire tower, I think, from mid-2003. I doubt I did not shoot for 6 months as I was new in Alaska and was exploring a lot. I'm sure I'll find it ... one day!

MY suggestion as other have mentioned ... get your images off of the disks and onto Ext HD ASAP. You are losing images by waiting.

Thanks to all.

PS- next is slides to Ext HDs! That'll be more fun, I'm sure!

Wandering Bob

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom