1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canoe to Mary Murry, and yacht

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by tomtodeath, Aug 21, 2008.

1. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
  2. Wow, that yacht has seen better days. Where was Gilligan and the Skipper?

3. Ha- I took my first dslr in my kayak once- and once was enough.

Nice work here- I really like the processing.

4. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Thanks! I try to keep my B+W conversions simple, with these I just applied a gradient map with black on one end and white on the other. It gives me about the same contrast as I have when I shoot Neopan, and gives me somewhat normal looking tones. (I sometimes have to fight the urge to darken the skys and and brighten the reds for the "red filter" look..)

The yacht was once owned by the Shah of Iran, there are a few different stories about what happened to it. The Ferry is undergoing demolition and will be completely removed, except for one of the control towers, which is being preserved.

5. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    I certainly like the 2nd and 3rd one.

6. Great pictures! I like the B&W aspect, too.

Can you explain more why you wouldn't take your camera on a canoe again? I'd like to take mine out on my kayak, but haven't yet, so I'm eager to hear others' experiences.

Kristin

7. that yacht almost looks HAUNTED
    like the effect you got with the b/w conversion
    very eerie and mysterious
    i like them

8. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice images. Looks like an interesting and scarry place.

9. husawis

husawis Guest

kristin - I can not speak about taking a camera in a kyak but there is absolutely no reason not to take one in a canoe unless you are doing some wildwater and then absent a good water-tight bag it is not wize. I have canoed most of the water in the NE, Maritime Canada, Quebec and Ontario and have never been in the water yet, that is a span of more than 50 years. If the water is rough, learn to portage the way my ancestors did. I am always curious at people who fear the loss of a camera or its damge in a spill. Honestly if you are in a canoe and fear for the loss of your equipment you should not be in the water - you life is at more risk. My ancestors carried great loads of fur that was valued in the dollars of those days much more than my D3. There are people on this forum who use their cameras in kyak and can give you some good sugesstions for that craft.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.