Canon 500D Close Up Diopter

Anyone know where I might find a new or used Canon 500D Closeup diopter with 77mm threads for use with my 70-200mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens? Both B&H and Adorama list it as back-ordered, with no indication of when it might be available.

They're apparently made in limited batches. I keep checking eBay, as there are usually one or two on there. I recently (naively) thought I had one in the bag about two weeks ago. I stopped bidding at $250 and it went for close to $290. That seems about average. Given the very high optical quality, my guess is that the lens is made in Japan. No telling how long it'll be before Canon starts building peripherals again. My guess is that eBay prices will slowly climb until Canon and its suppliers (as well as Japanese infrastructure) are back to full capacity.

There's one on my Craigslist in Toronto for $200Cdn. He says it's still available. I've asked him if he'll ship to US, pay via Paypal if you cover his costs. Waiting for his reply.

The 500D is fabulous on the 70-200VR, BTW.

EDIT: He'll only do a local deal and now it's sold. I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found extension tubes work very good and you don't have the extra glass in the way. In fact I stopped using diopters and use extension tubes exclusivey for that type of work now.

Tom

Tom,

You might consider registering for Buy & Sell access over at Fred Miranda. Going rate for the 500D over there is $130-150. Wish I had known that I could've gotten $250 for mine a few weeks ago! Grr.

Anyway, good luck. :smile:

-Chris

The 500d works great on the 17-55 and the 12-24! I realize it's designed for telephoto lenses but I've been very pleased with it on these two lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom