Canon 500d close up filter

with my 70-200mm VR .............. posted a couple of these in the wrong forum, and thought they should go here, if you call this macro. I call it easy man, then again you get what you pay for. LOL

got eaten alive today, bigger bugs than when I can remember. LOL............

45661263.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 11463

Correct me if wrong, poor shot, but think this is a hummingbird moth. Chased him everywhere, tough to get within that 22 inches or so, but was persistent. LOL

View attachment 11464

Keith, wonderful photos!!! :-D and YES you're in the right place to post.
The Canon 500D is a CU ring so I guess you can call them Close-Ups ;-)
It's a wonder what the 70-200 + 500D can produce!
Keep them coming!

Excellent Keith.

that is one pretty dragon.

Looks like a humming moth.

But the inset folks will be around to tell for sure.

Very nice pics, Keith. Good to see you're making good use of that combo. I need to get out my tripod and try some too. You've got great DOF on these - secrets???

Hi Sandy.........

No secrets at all, the Canon 500d closeup filter does it all for you!! I was a little short on the fstop, should have been between f11 and f16, shot these at f8, dont ask me what I was thinking............Dont need a tripod Sandy, that is what is so cool with this combo. VR helps immensely. All my shots are handheld. The key to working this combo well is to shoot in manual. move forward or backwards till you are in focus and then activate the shutter. Simplicity at its best!!! :)

Look forward to seeing your shots!

Hi Keith,

Great close-ups! Looks like you might have finally got some sun there. That hummingbird moth is quite a capture. :) :)

I know what you mean by being eaten alive. We have a ton of mosquitos after all the rain in June.

I've been trying a few with just the 70-200 + 1.7TC and getting better at it but think I may pick up a 500D. I agree it is pretty easy with the VR and I've been doing the same thing - putting it on manual and then moving to bring it into focus. This would probably work pretty good with a monopod as well.

Hi Gilles

Gilles said:
Keith, very nice shots, as for the minimum distance to focus does it varies a lot from 70 to 200?

good question, if I was to say off the top off my head, I still think you are shooting the same distance of 22-24inches, but using a smaller shooting distance will give you better DOF to get everything in focus, but I like the close ups with no cropping :D

thanks for looking
Keith

Hello there

Thanks Dennis and Gordon, appreciate you both taking the time to comment!!

Keith

Here is a new one from yesterday

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Scott

sbuttrick said:
Great shots Keith, I guess I need to go out and buy a 500d closeup filter. How's the Spyder working out?

There is always something to add to your gear. LOL.........its frustrating, i know. LOL

Truth be told, gave the spyder to my sister, my wife surprised me with
a Greg McBeth Eye One because she was tired of me whining and complaining. LOL.............. My sis said it made a big difference for her as she only had it calibrated using Microsofts software..............many thanks again!

Keith

I enjoy macro stuff and these are very crisp and colorful shots. I have some of those basic +1,+2,+3 filters for my Olympus but never was real happy with them. It looks like the 500d is a nice addition to the equipment. Now, if I could buy just a little of your talent.

Kim

After looking at your pictures I went straight to BandH Photo and placed my order for a 500D. Thanks for sharing you photos. Gives me something to shoot for! kim

Wow thats a pretty one also.. Great shot.

Just think, how dam stupid are we to spend 7000 dollars to shoot a flippin bug. :>))))))))))

Latest threads

Top Bottom