Canon 500d macro

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Keith, May 10, 2005.

1. By no means does this take place of a good micro lens, but for a filter 77mm thread on my 70-200mm and the flexibility, quite impressed..........

This guy is no bigger than a loonie- oopss , should say oversized quarter :)

original.

Like the shallow DOF, not great pic.......
    View attachment 8569

Like this pic.......
    View attachment 8570 [/list]

2. Those are great Keith, that's a great close-up setup, I whish they would put vr into there macro lenses.

I like the shallow depth of field one, I have a book called Macrophotography Lessons from a Master, this guy is really good and a lot of the pictures in the book are narrow depth of field, f2.8 he uses lots, since looking at his pictures I have started using small depth of fields more often, some people like the isolation it gives and others don't like the out of focus parts so it seams to be a matter of taste.

Martin

3. I don't think a dedicated macro lens could achieve notably better results.
    #1 and #3 are perfect, I just don't like the OOF highlights in #2, which are kind of a disturbance.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think the first and third are super.

5. Hi Martin

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Super nice shots Keith. My tastes run more to #1 and #3, but all three are excellent.

7. Great shots, Keith. Glad to see some excellent results of this combo as I just purchased a 500D. I've always assumed the full subject shd be in focus and have rejected a bunch which weren't. After reading Martin's post, I'm rethinking my thinking!
    Keep this great work up, Cheers, S

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Keith - you've really challenged dedicated macros here. Especially the third shot - looks as good as I think it could - no softeness anywhere!

As for picture 2, I like it - the sparkly stuff makes the froggie look wet!

9. Hey Keith, great shots, I have the same combo but I haven't really used it yet. Your photos are going to get me to get them conected and give them a try. If I can get some as good as yours I'll Post.
    Pete

10. Great shots!

Wow, Great shots! I like the third!

I use the same combination 70-200 VR with Canon 500D makes a great handholdable Macro solution. Thats why I leave my Sigma 105 at home for the most times.

BTW when you combine it with a 1,4TC (I use Kenko Pro 300), the Combo gives almost 1:1.

11. Hi Keith

Very nice reults - I've been thinking about the 500D - you might have just pushed be over the top!

Rory

12. Hi Chris........

Thanks Chris, just playing, that third shot too was with flash on camera, was quite surprised. LOL..................see most dont lean towards the 2nd, but the more I look at it the more I like....must be us funny people and I surely dont consider myself artsy :lol:

13. Thanks Frank, Sandy, Rory, Pete and Michael, appreciate the kind comments. This is my cheap way to afford macro photography. LOL........... I still lust for the 200mm micro! To Martins point, the VR when handholding these shots is what I like most versus setting up tripod etc!!