Canon 500L ... what carrying bag do you use?

Hi folks - well a mishap for me, that's turning into a better photography opp

I was t-boned while on way to Bankhead Natl forest about a month ago. Sitting on my passenger seat was my Nikon D300S, Sigma 500 4.5, mounted w/ TC 14 II. I took a good hit and subsequent head/neck injury, but am healing. My equipment didn't fare well at all!

I decided to replace the D300S with an EOS 7D, and am also getting the 500L f4. I have a couple Nikon bodies still that weren't damaged, so I'll keep for my landscape photography, dedicating the Canon rig for birds and wildlife.

I'm wondering what carrying bag might be recommended for the 500L. I'm concerned about weight of the total rig, but also witnessing what happened to my equipment, I will never place gear in the seat besides me again! I've read a bit about the Kinesis bags... are there any others you all use to consider?

Many thank, I hope to be back out shooting soon! Jeri Ann

I guess most people on this board have zero experience with the Canon 500L, but my Nikon 600 fits nicely into a Lens Trekker 600, although personally I carry it in my Lowepro Pro Trekker with all my other gear - Lowepro has relaunched the range since I bought mine, so some names might be different

Think Tank Glass Taxi? http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/glass-taxi.aspx It's basically custom-fit to the Canon 500L, although it doesn't carry anything else at the same time. As a carrying solution it'll probably be about as comfortable as it gets, though.

I'm not sure if it's an idea you'd be interested in, but you can attach a TT Pro Speed Belt to the bag as the waist belt, and then put their Modular or Skin series pouches on both the bag and belt, for all the other stuff you want to carry. I know plenty of people don't like the idea of a modular/pouch system, though.

thanks for those suggestions... I'll check them out. My lens arrived today in a very sturdy CASE and that'll do for transport, but yes, I'm wanting to hike a short distance from the car, and so something just enough to carry the lens, w/o added weight is the ticket... good suggestion about the waise belt / modular systems! thanks

Real Name
Colin Carter
i find the Guragear Kiboka bag awesome.

500Vr with body and TC's in one side and 300Vr or other stuff in other side.

for a single lens solution the Lowepro Lenstrekker 600 is hard to beat.

ive had 2 Canon 500L's in the past before moving to Nikon, its a great lens. My main problem with Canon was and still is the bodies. My friends 7D is very noise / grainey above iso 400 and the Af is not in the same ballpark as the D300S unfortunately which is a great pity because it looks like a great camera on paper.

Latest threads

Top Bottom