Canon 5D II announced

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by PeterRH, Sep 17, 2008.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

As expected perhaps, but now it is finally here this will hopefully stir the market up a little more, seeing as the pricing looks very good for the spec.

21mp and HD cinematography - this is the way of the future, still and video combined.

All details on dpreview. Along with news of a tasty 24mm f/1.4 lens for Canon owners.

2. $2699 in the US, £2299 in the UK.

***!

3. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

There will clearly be some 'flexibility' in the UK price pretty quickly - the Warehouse Express pre-order offer includes £175 worth of 'freebies'.

4. wowser, looked at the spec. canon are moving the goalpost in the full frame game. expect agressive pricing on D700 for nikon to stay competative. wow!

5. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    No worries!

6. Shiny

Shiny

May 1, 2006
    London, England
    In the UK it looks to be around the new Sony 24MP pricepoint, interesting to see if Nikon move their price points to compete ?

7. I want to see Nikon's response. Everything Nikon has done, has been niched in between Canon's products. If this video thing catches on, I'm going to have to jump the bandwagon. Especially if other photographers integrate it into their workflow. With the D90 using video, I could see either a D300 successor or a D3 successor integrate video. Neither compete with Canon's offerings and would make sense with Nikon's non-direct competition.

Or I could just buy a D90 and see how I fare? At $999, it's not that big of a financial hit!

8. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Yup I think you're right, however for me the question is 'when' rather than 'if' it gets into normal workflow. It surely is the way ahead, just as video-enabled web content is for many communications.

Must admit I've wondered about buying a D90 to get experience with the techniques of using our Nikkors with video - weddings and events would benefit greatly from some of these.

Might hold off until the next round of announcements, but not for too long.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  9. I can see Canon doing this better though, they've got so much video experience.

10. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Very true....and there's no need to necessarily get anything other than one body and one zoom to get a good representation of video in the final product delivered to clients.

Mind you, this is an area Sony should be delivering with in great bucketfuls in short order. Wonder if there is much Nikon/Sony collaboration coming or is that a step too far?

And to your point (no doubt you've already seen this):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092101vincentlaforeteos5dmkii.asp

11. I'm not really impressed by that guy's work. I'm not surprised that he's cheerleading the 5DmII. Most of his work is that boutique niche photography that looks good in a living room picture frame, but doesn't really capture the guts or glory of the subject. I've seen better work from lesser known photographers.

12. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

vidios been around a long time and ive never even owned a vidio cam.ive been into pgotograghy since jr.high ie back in the early 70.vidio will never be in my workflow.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

you've already lost your "edge" if not on the waiting list NOW!
    :eek: 

14. I know, I feel as dull as a sandstone! hahaaha! :tongue:

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

that HD video thingy is guna change PJ forever...man u gotta have this for your line of work, PERIOD!

16. Hi Nute

I'd really like to see the video straight from the 5DII. My butt hurts from converting RAW files. Video is a nightmare.

17. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Opinion: high-end video capability in a high-end camera has limited appeal.
    Nice to have? yes.
    Must have? doubt it
    Would we buy a high-end video camera to take pictures?

18. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Are you sure we'll know the difference between the two in future?

19. Aside from the video feature, one interesting thing about this camera may be its high ISO performance. Canon claims it's packing more resolution (pixels) in there but in a way that has excellent high ISO results.

Here's a wedding photog who claims he would use ISO 6400 regularly on it, and pushes it to 12800 and 25600.

http://www.bebbblog.com/index.php?link=94&cat=7

Could this camera match or exceed the D700's high ISO, while providing better pixel density to reduce "the crop factor" for telephoto users, or provide landscape users with fine detail?

I doubt it because the sensor is similar to the 1ds Mark III which isn't as good as the D3 in high ISO. Canon claims they've made some improvements with the 5D II. We'll see soon enough.

Either way, competition is great and benefits us all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.