Canon i9900 profile?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by GaryW, Jul 23, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I started to ask this on the dpreview printing forum, but decided I would either be killed or ignored due to my extreme ignorance.

I have a Canon i9900 attached to my Mac G5, running OSX 10.4.

I just printed out a picture of my dog and the print seemed to show her with a slight red tint. She has no red tint though.

I realize I need some kind of ICC profile, but I am completely ignorant about those. I use Konica paper.

Can somebody please direct me to a site that will tell me exactly what I need to do to correct my problem?

Thanks.

Gary

2. Hermie

Hermie

Jul 23, 2005
    Custom ICC profile(s) is probably the answer. I had a lot of problems with my Epson and the canned profiles that came with it. Those were solved by creating/using custom profiles.

The easiest way to obtain custom profiles is by having them made for you. See e.g.:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com
    http://www.chromix.com (ColorValet), bit more expensive
    http://www.cathysprofiles.com/

All three offer good profiling services.

Herman

3. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks Herman.

I guess I thought there would already be a profile out there for the 19900 and Konica paper - just waiting to be downloaded.

I suppose with as much investment I already have in this equipment, another $50 is insignificant.

Thanks again.

(But, if anybody knows where there is an existing free one, I would appreciate knowing about it.)

4. Hermie

Hermie

Jul 23, 2005
    Hi Gary,

Probably someone has created a custom profile for the i9900 & Konica, but remember that a CUSTOM profile is describing the behaviour of a specific device ! Not your device.

Herman

5. Hi Gary,

I have an i9900 hooked up to a Powerbook. I couldn't get the prints to match my screen until I profiled my screen with a profiling device, that got me closer. I was using Ilford paper and their profiles for the i9900. To zero things really in there, I created my own profiles using the Monoco Optix system. If you are using Photoshop or other software for color management, make sure that color management is turned off in the printer software. Hope this helps.

6. Gary, check out the following link. Its a user forum with a link buried in it to a downloadable copy of the Canon ICC profile guide and it will show you how to use ICC profiles.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29530

If you installed the driver for the i9900 from CD then the appropriate ICC profiles were also installed and you should be good to go after reading the guide.

You may not get exact results as you use Konica paper but it's possible that it may work out OK for you. If this doesnt help you have 2 choices: get a custom profile from the links provided by Herman or switch to Canon paper.

Hope this helps....

Doug

7. I have used cathysprofiles for my Epson 2200 for matte, semi-gloss and gloss paper and am very pleased with her work. First though, I'd calibrate my couputer's screen, then calibrate the printer-paper.

Rich

8. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gary,
    I have an i9900 which I love. I use a Cathy's profile for each paper I print, one for Costco glossy and one for Ilford Gallery Classic Pearl. The results are outstanding. I always know my print will match my screen. By the way, I also first calibrated my monitor.
    Mike

9. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks folks. I have written Cathy a note, asking what I need to do to get my printer profile.