Canon photographers posting on Nikon Café…I don’t get it?

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Anthony747, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’ve been using Opanda Exif on many posts here at Nikon Café and I’m completely surprised to read the many Canon equipment shots posted on the Nikon Cafe! I’m really frustrated in viewing these shots from a Canon camera because I can’t learn any thing from it because I don’t shoot Canon! I was under the impression that this was a Nikon forum. I’m a Nikon equipped photographer and I’m only interested in viewing Nikon equipped shots, so I can learn from the Nikon lens used, or camera. I would be mortified posting my Nikon shots at a Canon forum, what good would it do to the fellow Canon user?

If I’m wrong, please put me in my place.

Venting...Thanks!
    Anthony

2. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    You can still learn things from images shot on a Canon... Most of the Nikon lenses have an equal in the Canon line, as do the bodies, so focal length is easily replicated using a different lens (not that it really matters as every situation is different and thus requires a different focal length)... Other than that, all of the image settings (ISO, SS, f-stop, etc) should be what you're looking for and you should be able to learn about your Nikon in that way.

Personally I dont see the big deal. I see it as a little weird, but i could also see that (as Uncle Franks post point out) there are a few long time members that may have switched over to Canon, but have built a reputation here and still enjoy the company and nice people and choose to still post their images.

3. And even though this forum is geared toward Nikon users, in my year here, I have found it to be a friendly place regardless of what equipment of used... and I like that. It's more of a photography forum in that regard, and not just an equipment forum... over at another (major) site I'm a member of, they don't even allow pictures from camera systems other than Nikon/Nikon hybrids to be posted. That's their perogative, but I do feel like I'm missing out on some maybe important learning. As James posted, it doesn't matter what systme a person is using... how you go about getting the pictures is all the same.
    Having said that, what I do NOT like about using Canon on this site (and this is not aimed at any in particular) is when us Nikon users do "bash" Canon as the competition (and it's usually in fun), and then the Canon people complain about it. This is a NIKON site after all! Just keep it friendly.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The following is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Nikon Cafe management.
    Anthony, it is plain to see that the Nikon Cafe is steadily becoming a mixed brand site rather than remaining a Nikon only site. I'm certain that we can learn from those who shoot with something other than Nikon gear, each brand uses shutter priority, aperture priority and so on. Rather than being consumed by the fact that Canon images are being posted, I would like you to consider that we are attracting more and more talented photographers each and every day. These folks bring knowledge that we all can benefit from and I, for one, am ready to start picking their brains to learn how to shoot better. I private message regularly with a member who shoots Canon gear, I cherish his friendship and have no concerns about what he shoots. We share similar concerns about how to handle certain shooting situations and we share in each others successes. The Nikon Cafe will always welcome photographers from all countries no matter what brand they choose to embrace.

5. Anthony, I can only speak for myself, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for some of our Canon shooting members. Some of the people posting Canon images have more experience with Nikon gear than I ever will. When I look at images, I look at composition, lighting, subject, posing, expressions, processing, post processing, and the overall feel of the images presented. Very rarely does this have anything to do with the camera or equipment used. That said, I do enjoy talking about Nikon gear and how to use it to its potential, but it's really secondary to the actual images, IMHO.

If you read Frank's post, John said it best when he said that "it ain't the camera", which I interpret to mean that it's about the images, not about the equipment. While it's nice to share Nikon equipment as a way to have something in common to begin sharing our images and lives, soon it becomes more than that. I could care less if some of the people here switched to Canon, or Minolta, or Pentax, or whatever...it doesn't diminish their talent and my desire to be inspired by their photography.

JMHO...

6. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Like they say, a picture speaks a thousand words ..... regardless of what it is made with. It is the story or the feeling and emotion it communicates. I could care less if the image was shot using a disposable camera as long as the image captures my attention and I like to know more about how the image was made, which made it so appealing, rather than what equipment was used to make that image. We have a group of very talented individuals here on this forum and more importantly it is the person behind the camera that makes the image and not just the equipment ..... the equipment is only a 'means' used to capture the image. So, I would not really worry about Canon shooters posting on this forum as long as the pictures posted meet the cafe criteria and established standards.

7. It doesn't bother me, but it would be nice if they did post if was a Nikon shot or Canon. :smile:

8. We also get Holga, Leica, Voightlander, Mamiya, Pentax and others.

Many of us own cameras of several brands. Six brands right here, and I'm an amateur!

I say if you needed a software tool to even tell what camera produced an image, then perhaps there is something more important than the brand.

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I study exif's often, and other than a mild curiosity, I never thought about it...aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. aren't camera specific...

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Really? I owned Nikon forever (1977 - 2007) I posted many shots here when I first signed up in 2006....I now have an MKIIn & MKIII...so now if I post a picture and add some comments you are offended and can not learn anything from them?

SS, F stop, composition, even PP are all quite similar....sure there are some nuances but you can't learn / share anything? OK I guess....but I see it different.

I like this place a lot better than many Canon sites so I post here...if I offend I apologize...I won't stop, just sorry you can't see the photographer to photographer value.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  11. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Post away, mate - its all about the image.

All else pales in comparison....

12. And I like your pictures :smile:

I don't get it since I seldom if ever look at the exif file, but at the picture only.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i can only speak for myself, but yes i posted some pictures here that was shot with my compact PS canon, but for more serious photography i use my nikon d50. at some public places the D50 just attracts too much attention, since most people have never seen a camera that big. they always go "wow... so big... it must be very ancient technology"

14. 1/60th @ f8 is the same on all cameras.

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    an internet site that doesn't evolve with time, doesn't have much time. It may be that this site's time will come to evolve and acknowledge being a nikon featured site, but embracing all photography, which I guess it does now anyway.

I know I sure felt it was unfair when some photos of mine were not welcome on another site because they were not of that brand. Seemed lame for one set of photos from a newish user.

But I do feel their is room for exclusive brand specific areas as well, not about just the photos, but rather about the gear.

16. I personally welcome

posts from accomplished photographers, no matter what gear they use. It is good to have a broad perspective on most subjects, and photography is no exception. Composition, presentation, and the artform in general are not gear-specific and many non-Nikon shooters are exceptionally accomplished; I'd love to learn as much as possible from them. Equipment oriented areas of this forum exist and provide ample learning and teaching opportunity, and I take full advantage of it.

17. I don't mind any Canon or other brand camera users here. I hope all of you keep on posting your photo's because I enjoy seeing all of them. :smile:

18. I stand corrected! Frank put it well "...the Nikon Cafe is steadily becoming a mixed brand site rather than remaining a Nikon only site" I guess a "Brand" name change will be needed in the future...maybe Camera Cafe :smile:

Thanks all the informative comments!
    Anthony

19. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Antony, didn't your mother tell you not to mock the afflicted :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Canon users need encouragement to better their photography and ultimately upgrade to a real camera system (Nikon) so let them come and talk to the nice Nikon users - have you even looked at their exclusive forum site www.canonites.org ? A sad,lonely place :Depressed which we certainly don't want the Cafe to turn into by being monocameraistic (and yes I made that word up!!).

(and yes it is ALL written tongue in cheek for those who take life way to seriously :smile: )