Canon Pixma Pro 100?

Let me start by noting that I am not a print "enthusiast". I tend to print my own 8x10 and larger because of the control it gives me, especially over the papers used, and because I am very much a "I want to see it right now" person. I print smaller sizes for convenience if I am only doing a few. For larger quantities, I send them to a print shop.

I had been using a Canon Pixma iP4700 which had replaced an old Epson Stylus Photo 1280 (I think that was the model number... It has been a long time since that printer went bye-bye.) The Canon iP4700 just died: the infamous B200 error. None of the various home remedies has helped and I am pretty certain the print head is toast. A replacement print head is about $75, too much to spend on a printer in this price range with no certainty that the print head will fix the problem.

So, time to shop for a printer. What I have discovered is that there are very few mid-range dedicated photo printers. The choice is largely between an all-in-one that can do photos (and has at least a minimum number of individual color ink tanks) or a higher end printer. The gap is between a roughly $150 all-in-one and a $500 (and up) dedicated photo printer.

I am not wedded to any manufacturer but I have found that HP seems to have largely abandoned the amateur/occasional print user. That leaves Canon and Epson. After some research, one thing that stands out about the Canon Pro series is the set of excellent paper profiles that Canon has created for many of the better "art" papers. They basically took the paper manufacturer's profiles and tuned them for their printers.

So, I am seriously considering the Canon Pixma Pro 100. It is the least expensive of the Pro line and more than meets my needs from a features and spec perspective. And, although list price is $499, Amazon has it on offer for $369.

Anyone have any experience with the Canon Pro line printers?

Any suggestions for other printers I should be looking at? For the record, I do not need roll paper capability (had that with the Epson 1280 and never used it) and the largest I will ever print is 13x19.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II and have been very happy with it.

(I also have the old Canon Pixma iP8500 which I have also been very happy with.)

Neither have ever clogged or gone wrong in any way, despite some long periods being switched off.

Of couse they drink their expensive inks, like all photo printers.

Doug,

I got the Canon Pixma Pro 100 for my daughter B-day in Sept. B&H had a special with 50 sheets of 13X19 Canon photo paper for $100 discount. Canon then offered a $300 rebate in the form of an AMEX fixed $ card. Basically after the rebate the printer and paper cost $98!! The print quality is superb IMO. I was so pleased with this printer and the quality I got my wife one for a Christmas Present!! Take a look at B&H I think this deal is still offered.

BTW unlike some rebates, I did get the AMEX card after a few weeks of sending in the information and UPS code from the box.

Doug,

I got the Canon Pixma Pro 100 for my daughter B-day in Sept. B&H had a special with 50 sheets of 13X19 Canon photo paper for $100 discount. Canon then offered a $300 rebate in the form of an AMEX fixed $ card. Basically after the rebate the printer and paper cost $98!! The print quality is superb IMO. I was so pleased with this printer and the quality I got my wife one for a Christmas Present!! Take a look at B&H I think this deal is still offered.
Thanks! The offer is still on. Just ordered one.

The author of this review quite likes the Pro-100. He sells high quality aftermarket inks & refilling supplies for Canon and Epson printers. I'm a satisfied customer, no other connection, but I'd say he knows his stuff. His explanation of what makes the printer so good is interesting and imo, makes good sense.

The author of this review quite likes the Pro-100. He sells high quality aftermarket inks & refilling supplies for Canon and Epson printers. I'm a satisfied customer, no other connection, but I'd say he knows his stuff. His explanation of what makes the printer so good is interesting and imo, makes good sense.
Thanks. Interesting review. The DPR reviews of the Pro-1 and the Pro-10 were very positive so I was hoping that this "little brother" would be good. I will know soon enough. I'll report my experience with the printer after I get it and have a little time to exercise it. The thing that was really inopportune about the demise of my iP4700 was that I am in the middle of printing photos for some photo collages to hang around the house. That is on hold until the new printer arrives.

Printer showed up a couple of hours ago. Bigger than I envisioned.

Unpacking and setup were straightforward until it came to getting the wireless connection going. Because the driver on the CD does not work with OS X Mavericks, I needed to download the new driver. That was no problem but it made getting back into the setup process a PITA and took a couple of passes to get it right.

The CD and web site have a bunch of profiles for various vendors papers, all custom tuned by Canon for the printer. I used the Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl for a quick test. Except for a slightly ruddy skin tone it looks great. I need to recalibrate one of my monitors and the other one has never been calibrated so I'll wait until that is done to make any detailed tests. So far I like it, especially for the price.

Doug, are you saying I should set up my PC, before I set up my MacBook?
No. The issue installing on the Mac has to do with the way the installer on the CD works. In my case I was trying to get the wireless network connection going but the issue exists with a plain old USB connection too.

When you start up the installer, the first thing it does is check that the OS version and the printer driver on the CD match. Since I am running Mavericks (10.9.1), it complained and offered a "button" to go get the new driver. This takes you to the Canon web site. I downloaded and installed the proper driver and then returned to the installer. Unfortunately, this is where the installer gets stupid. I had already installed a newer driver but when I tried to deselect the printer driver in the checklist of software to be installed it would not let me, saying that the printer driver was mandatory. This meant that the older, wrong driver would be installed. There is no way around this step so I let it install the old driver thinking I could reinstall the new one afterward. Unfortunately, if you do this and go through all the steps up to using USB to set up the wireless you get a "communication error" trying to talk to the printer even though is shows up as installed in System Preferences. So.... here's workaround.

Go through the installation up to the point of the communication error (you get the error when trying to set up wireless via USB OR when you try to do the printhead alignment if using a USB connection [no wireless])... in other words, the error happens the first time you try to communicate with the printer, regardless of connection method. At this point, continue the installation to the end (or if the installer gets "stuck", force quit the installer application). Go download the new driver (if you have not already) and the Canon IJ Network Tool (if you want to connect via the network). Install the correct driver. If setting up for a network connection, then run the network tool. Use this to change the connection method. This should get the printer to the point that you can use it via whichever connection. Go to System Preferences, select the printer and use the print utility to run a printhead alignment. Should be good to go.

I did something similar, installed the USB version first, then installed the wireless version. I ignored the error messages and did the print aligment. Seems to work fine. You want to use the Canon plug in for Photoshop & LR. There is a bunch of stuff on the Pixma Pro 100 on the website mentioned by Larry (thanks) above. Lots of info on cartridge refilling, paper, setup and such.

Just a quick update on the rebate. I mailed the rebate materials on Jan 16. Got the rebate cash card two weeks later. That was pretty fast. Also, the Canon rebate web site always had an accurate status of the state of processing of the rebate and I got an email the day that the rebate processing was complete and the rebate fully approved. Very good service.

FWIW, Canon just "refreshed" the rebate offer with a new rebate code. This means that, even if you already ordered one of these printers and received the rebate, you can order a second one and receive a second rebate. This means you can get another box of printer paper and a spare ink set and print head for $50. Tempting.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom