Canon Pixma Pro 100?

I really need to figure this out. It appears that there is some coating or chemical on the paper which prevents the ink from soaking in.
I agree with Richard that there is a strong possibility that you are printing to the wrong side. I do not have any paper to hand but if memory serves Canon does not print anything on the paper reverse side of their papers.

Sliding a finger over the paper (use an edge where you will not be printing) should reveal a slight resistance on the printing surface, while the finger should slide smoothly on the opposite surface for more resistance. If not sure slightly moisten finger and see which side presents the most resistance to sliding

Is it possible you are putting it in the wrong side up? i.e. printing on the wrong side?
I agree with Richard that there is a strong possibility that you are printing to the wrong side. I do not have any paper to hand but if memory serves Canon does not print anything on the paper reverse side of their papers.

Sliding a finger over the paper (use an edge where you will not be printing) should reveal a slight resistance on the printing surface, while the finger should slide smoothly on the opposite surface for more resistance. If not sure slightly moisten finger and see which side presents the most resistance to sliding

Well that was the first thing I thought of, too, and the first thing I checked. This is "luster" paper and there is a slightly shiny side and a dull, somewhat rough side. I printed on the slightly shiny side just as I did on the 8.5 x 11 inch paper. It looks fine on that smaller sheet.

Well that was the first thing I thought of, too, and the first thing I checked. This is "luster" paper and there is a slightly shiny side and a dull, somewhat rough side. I printed on the slightly shiny side just as I did on the 8.5 x 11 inch paper. It looks fine on that smaller sheet.
Making an assumption first that the paper is actually ok may be a good first step (apologies as I realise that I am treading on teaching granny to suck eggs territory but..;):)). It could of course be a suspect batch but my experience of the major paper manufacturers suggests this is very rare.

My suggestion is to take out a sheet from the middle of the pack and use this for testing (maybe trim it down to smaller sizes to save paper and give you several sheets) there is a reason for this suggestion.
Not clear if this paper is exactly the same as the manufacturers smaller sheets supplied with the printer but there are a few things you can check

1. Print through an application you know well e.g. PS or LR first rather than the Pro Studio app at least to start with
2. Double check that you are selecting the correct paper profile
3. For your first prints let the printer manage colour and make sure that this is enabled in the printer driver and selected in PS or LR
4. Select quality settings. I would suggest at this time not going for the highest quality. Quality settings and paper profiles combine to control ink laid down and it is possible that selecting the wrong one will soak the paper and lead to distortion and possibly mottling.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, hope that something here helps.

Making an assumption first that the paper is actually ok may be a good first step (apologies as I realise that I am treading on teaching granny to suck eggs territory but..;):)). It could of course be a suspect batch but my experience of the major paper manufacturers suggests this is very rare.

My suggestion is to take out a sheet from the middle of the pack and use this for testing (maybe trim it down to smaller sizes to save paper and give you several sheets) there is a reason for this suggestion.
Not clear if this paper is exactly the same as the manufacturers smaller sheets supplied with the printer but there are a few things you can check

1. Print through an application you know well e.g. PS or LR first rather than the Pro Studio app at least to start with
2. Double check that you are selecting the correct paper profile
3. For your first prints let the printer manage colour and make sure that this is enabled in the printer driver and selected in PS or LR
4. Select quality settings. I would suggest at this time not going for the highest quality. Quality settings and paper profiles combine to control ink laid down and it is possible that selecting the wrong one will soak the paper and lead to distortion and possibly mottling.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, hope that something here helps.

Pretty much what I was planning to do. I am going to cut a sheet in half for testing. The sheet I printed on was from the middle of the stack, and I did recheck paper profile and used something less than max quality (I forget just what). I printed using the Canon "Print Studio Pro" plugin for Lightroom as I did for the two 8.5 x 11 prints which turned out great.

Jim, I am running out of ideas here and approaching the bad batch of paper thoughts :(

Hope you can resolve this soon please keep us posted

The instructions that came with the paper (LU-101) say "Load the paper in a way so as to make prints on the glossier surface", which is what I think I did.

14 hours after making the print the ink is still not dry...it rubs off on whatever it touches.

The instructions that came with the paper (LU-101) say "Load the paper in a way so as to make prints on the glossier surface", which is what I think I did.

14 hours after making the print the ink is still not dry...it rubs off on whatever it touches.
The ink should be touch dry after falling onto the collection tray. While touch dry it does need a little time to harden/cure onto/into the paper but you really should not be able to smudge it without more than a little effort.

The symptoms described are typical of an ink being laid onto an unsuitable substrate. In this case the dye needs to be absorbed into the paper coating and this does not appear to be happening.

Have you tried the damp finger trick to see which side of the paper feels sticky (this will be the print side) vs smooth

??? I was talking about ordering a second printer. If you can get another rebate then you get a second printer (considering the rebate and paper) for $50. This would give you a spare set of ink (in the printer) and print head (in the printer) for a net of $50. An ink set on Amazon is about $125.

Ordering another printer just for ink ? Don't these printers come with only JUST sample ink . What are ML sizes of the refills and how much are they ?
Is the P 100 ink archival? I understand what y'all are talking about with Ink clogging, that was a problem with My 17 YO Epson 2200, it just died, I had a cheap canon P2600 that had SW issue with Win 10 fire up yesterday after being idle 18 months, printed very well, only issue is the generic controls and I will need to compensate for darker image. That was impressive.

Also there is mention of second party ink in this thread, I have never had any luck with anything but Epson ink, but then it has been over a decade since I tried it.

...Is the P 100 ink archival?
No, these are dye inks and very few if any are said to be archival. You may under the strictest conditions get 20 years i.e. framed under glass and out of too much light, otherwise you are looking at 9 -12 years gloss to matt paper respectively

I understand what y'all are talking about with Ink clogging, that was a problem with My 17 YO Epson 2200, it just died, I had a cheap canon P2600 that had SW issue with Win 10 fire up yesterday after being idle 18 months, printed very well, only issue is the generic controls and I will need to compensate for darker image. That was impressive.
Dye inks are much less likely to clog over their Pigment based counterparts and if they do the clogs tend to be easier to remove.

There are some pretty good third party inks available for Canon and Epson, think Precision Inks and Marrut, Lyson but you will probably want to make or have made a paper profile for each type of paper you use with these inks. For some printers in the USA this may be a problem as I understand that some manufacturers have chipped their models to prevent more than one use of third party ink cartridges

Fingers firmly crossed here ;)

Bingo.

My interpretation of "glossy" and Canon's interpretation appear to be different. I still did it wrong on my first try with a 4x6. Guess I just got lucky with the two 8.5 x 11 - inch prints I did, though they do look a bit glossier on the side I printed.

Real Name
Ken St John
I love my Pixma Pro 100. Images printed on the "free paper" turned out exquisite.

Totally agree ... my wife has "asked" me to stop for a while as she thinks the walls are running out of room!!

BTW - if you really want to see something stunning, get some of the metallic paper from Red River and print out some B&W images. They are clearly "professional" grade!!

Cheers!!

Ken

I note that a complete set of Canon ink cartridges for this printer runs about $120 at Amazon. That is nearly twice what I paid for the printer, but I'm not surprised.

Real Name
Ken St John
I note that a complete set of Canon ink cartridges for this printer runs about $120 at Amazon. That is nearly twice what I paid for the printer, but I'm not surprised.

First, I was impressed by how long the "setup" tanks that were in the box lasted. Prolly printed 20+ 13x19 prints, plus a bunch of 4x6's before I started getting a low ink warning.

Somewhat on a whim, I tried an off brand ink from Amazon from YoYoInk.

https://smile.amazon.com/Compatible...id=1521669850&sr=8-1&keywords=pro-100+yoyoink

I am very impressed. I purposely printed several images with the Canon ink, replaced the tanks with the YoYoInk and could not tell the difference. No issues with the chips either. Just works!!

Plus ... I had a small issue with some minor drips leaking from the tanks. Basically, when I removed the plastic cover at the bottom of the replacement tank, there was a drop or two of ink in the cover and I got a couple of drops on my hand. I emailed the company to determine if that was considered "normal" or not, and they offered, and sent me, a complete new set of ink cartridges for free. In addition, they refunded me 20% back to my Amazon account for my trouble. Impressed, I am!!

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom