Canon printer not working with MacBook Pro

I have a Canon MG2900 series printer that has been working fine for quite some time. All of a sudden, no only will it print on line, but it won't print from my computer even if it's plugged in. I manually put a sheet of paper on it and it copied it fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Most likely you have upgraded system software, and the computer no longer recognizes the printer. If there is an upgraded driver, then hopefully your computer will talk to the printer.
Try this page: PIXMA MG2920
I went online and found the driver and downloaded it. I actually was able to print the test page from my computer (plugged in to the printer). However, when I try to print anything else (a picture, recipe etc.), I get the #300...printer does not respond. Is there something "unset" in my MacBook, or time for a new printer???

Dossy, if I could visit you and help you with your problem, I would. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas for you. I am generally pretty good at figuring out problems when I can work with the printer and computer hands on, but I'm not as good at telling someone else everything I would try. I did a search for the #300 printer error, and found quite a few people with ideas. You might try that, use google, and type in MG2900 #300 printer error, and try some of the things described.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Perhaps it is trying to print to the previous installation of the printer - in other words the printer is not responding because it does not exist.
When you print, select the correct printer, the "new" one.

Dossy, if I could visit you and help you with your problem, I would. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas for you. I am generally pretty good at figuring out problems when I can work with the printer and computer hands on, but I'm not as good at telling someone else everything I would try. I did a search for the #300 printer error, and found quite a few people with ideas. You might try that, use google, and type in MG2900 #300 printer error, and try some of the things described.
Steve, it would be my pleasure to have you visit us. I would put up coffee, a beer, whatever! In lieu of that, I will be doing some more searches!
Perhaps it is trying to print to the previous installation of the printer - in other words the printer is not responding because it does not exist.
When you print, select the correct printer, the "new" one.
"Growl" is how I feel right now! I did "x" any previous attempts at printing. Let me check which printer is listed. Thanks!

Dossy, thanks for the offer, but I live about 6000 miles from you. Also, right now I'm in Utah to help a friend who will have a total knee replacement tomorrow.

Delete all instances of this printer in System Preferences, restart, and install a new instance.
Not sure what an instance is...
Dossy, thanks for the offer, but I live about 6000 miles from you. Also, right now I'm in Utah to help a friend who will have a total knee replacement tomorrow.
As someone who had ACL knee surgery later in life, I wish your friend well. The rehab is everything!

I had a total knee replacement a year ago. I'm happy I had it done, it is 100% better than my old worn out knee. I stayed with my friend in Utah, as everything is close here, where if I had it done in Alaska, I would have needed to rent a place in Anchorage (190 miles from our home) to do the therapy. In Utah, the therapy center was ten minutes from my friend's house.

I had a total knee replacement a year ago. I'm happy I had it done, it is 100% better than my old worn out knee. I stayed with my friend in Utah, as everything is close here, where if I had it done in Alaska, I would have needed to rent a place in Anchorage (190 miles from our home) to do the therapy. In Utah, the therapy center was ten minutes from my friend's house.
My philosophy is to avoid surgery at all cost, unless the issue really affects your quality of life! Then it's absolutely worth the procedure. I'm glad yours went well.

In the printer pref pane you'll see one or more printers with that model. Delete them. Then click the + button and set up the printer again.
Look at System preferences > printers and scanners. Do you see more that one entry for (instance of) that printer? At any rate, the advice to delete all instances of this printer and then re-install is a good step.
Thank you Scott and Doug! It does show two versions of my printer. I did download a driver for this model. Do I just delete from the printers and scanners?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I agree with deleting all instances of the printer, rebooting, and re-installing. I had a problem this weekend where the paper profiles for my printer were not appearing. I looked in the printer profile directory and it was empty. I deleted the printer and re-added it and it re-installed all the profiles. Sometimes system or printer software updates mess things up and the only fix is to delete the peripheral from the system and re-add it.

I agree with deleting all instances of the printer, rebooting, and re-installing. I had a problem this weekend where the paper profiles for my printer were not appearing. I looked in the printer profile directory and it was empty. I deleted the printer and re-added it and it re-installed all the profiles. Sometimes system or printer software updates mess things up and the only fix is to delete the peripheral from the system and re-add it.
I've got it printing when plugged in to the computer, just not wireless. I have a few necessary items to print this week, and when that is done I'm going to try the delete and reinstall. I'll keep you posted!

My neighbor, who spent a couple of hours with me trying to fix the printer when this first happened, came by my house today with his daughter who is visiting from college. She clicked on a question mark on the printer/scanner in system preferences, did some more clicking, and I'm now printing on line again. So this is a big nod to the brilliance of youth! :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom