Canon Pro 1000 is it any good?

Hi All,

I have been thinking of getting into printing some of my work. I have been using an old HP 2600 wide format printer. not great but gets the job done.

My dealer has offered me a deal on a Canon Pro 1000 printer and I am thinking of getting that. Has anyone had experience with this printer?

Looking forward to all the great advice from the Café!

Cheers
alexis and Georgie Beagle

No personal experience but from al I have read from knowledgeable persons it is a very good printer, with a couple of caveats!

First I should declare that I recently purchased an Epson Surecolor P800 after considering the Canon Pro 1000. The decision not too easy and at first I was strongly drawn to the Canon. IQ wise I believe not much to choose between them although the Canon may just edge ahead of the Epson.

One thing often mentioned about Epson is their propensity to clog vs no such thing with Canon. At first sight this may seem pertinent, however a little investigation should reveal the reason; Canon triggers cleaning cycles at times regardless of need whereas Epson cleaning cycles need to be initiated by the user. Leave a printer too long without printing and you will be faced with nozzle clogging, a fact if life with pigment ink printers in particular.

Some reasons that I veered away from the Canon:
Limit of 25” max length for print. This is a driver limitation.
Cleaning cycles that I had no control over
If you need to transport the machine the ink has to be purged and refilled at the destination causing massive wastage and requiring several ink waste tanks

Why I choose Epson
Practically no limit on paper length. I bought to roll adapter as well
More manual control of cleaning cycles
Machine caps itself for transport without the need to purge ink

Downside Epson still requires the swapping of Photo and Matt inks wasting a few ml in changeover.

Bottom line is that if you can accept the ink used in cleaning cycles and will not need to print panos longer than 25” and are unlikely to want to move the printer to a new location in the future the Canon will amaze you, as in fact will the Epson.

Thanks Tony, Great advice. I am drawn to the Canon for the quality and the OEM inks. I don't think the roll feed will be an issue as I can still send out long panos. Yes the whole dumping close to a litre of ink to move the printer, but I think I would not move it once it is set up. Since the price I am being offered is only a couple of hundred bucks more than the cost of a set of cartridges if I had to move it, it would probably be better to buy a new printer than dump all that ink...

A further issue is that the price is significantly less than the Epson P800... Oh, well say good bye to my old Epson 1270 from the last century, you have served me well.

Cheers,

"I print there for I am a photog...." - Georgie Beagle

Sounds to me that you are going to get a bargain for a really great printer Alexis.

You may need to employ Georgie Beagle to help you move it into place as it is a really heavy beast (the printer not Georgie :))

Alexis
I have been using a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II for a number of years.
Prints up to 13 x 19 and is definitely NOT an ink hog.
I believe it has been replaced by another model.
Not sure of the number.
Either way I think they are both about half the cost of the Pro 1000.
If you have to have 17" wide the Pro 1000 is the way to go.

Sounds to me that you are going to get a bargain for a really great printer Alexis.

You may need to employ Georgie Beagle to help you move it into place as it is a really heavy beast (the printer not Georgie :))
Yes, Fortunately I have some friends who will help... I hear it weighs 70+ pounds.... The deal is quite good, especially when you consider it comes with full 80ml cartridges (all 11 of them) so I should be able to print for quite a while...

Alexis
I have been using a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II for a number of years.
Prints up to 13 x 19 and is definitely NOT an ink hog.
I believe it has been replaced by another model.
Not sure of the number.
Either way I think they are both about half the cost of the Pro 1000.
If you have to have 17" wide the Pro 1000 is the way to go.
Good to hear Dave. I think the Canon printers are quite good. I checked on what the large size I usually send out or printing and it is 16X24 so the 1000 should be the choice.

I will go over to the dealer and they will print a test print of one of my pics so we shall see if it will work for me.

Thanks for all the advice,

Cheers,

"does this collar make me look fat???" - Georgie Beagle

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom