Canon Question

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by GoGo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Someone has to have an answer for this?

OK so I acquired a MKIII and some lenses, I spent some time reading and reading and shooting and shooting and so now that I feel ready I take my new camera to an assignment. I shoot it everything is OK, I get home and my right eye is sore and messed up.

I have asked over at several other places with less amicable types answering nonsense and now I come to you. Where can I get an eye cup for this MKIII before I loose vision in my right eye from the flare that I see every time I hold the camera vertical.

I can not be the only person with this problem!

Anybody have an answer???????????????????????????????????????????????
  2. Unfreakingbelievable

Giorgio has to come to a Nikon forum to get help with his new Canon. :eek: .......................... :biggrin:. What a great place we have here!!!

Giorgio: Big congrats on the new HW. Stay in touch with us please.

3. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    He's family!
  4. GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    custom modification coming today

Today I do a custom mod on my camera.
    My eye feels like someone cracked me upside of the head.

RE: Coming here for help.
    Seriously folks this is the only forum I have ever been on where that is possible and probable.
    At the other places people take a holy'r than thou approach and don't even want to address a possible flaw in the viewfinder when the cam is held vertically. I guess they all have fat faces?

And BTW I still have 3 Nikon cameras lots of glass and I guarantee more to come. Photography is more than a pass time for me.
  5. henryp

Dec 29, 2005
    New York, NY
  6. Hi Henry,

You've helped me with an order or two over the years. Nice to see you here. :smile:
  7. Is the Mark III eyepiece the same as the 5D's?

I use a Nikon DK-3 attached to an adapter that fits the square eyepiece mounts on the D200, etc. Don't recall the part number for that adapter and it isn't printed on it.

Anyway, this assembly will fit on the 5D fairly well.

Might fit the Mark III as well.
  8. Congrats on the new machine Giorgio!

I guess it is not easy to custom fit something on those square eyepieces with a pretty unique fit. Manufacturers should offer eye cups for any model, by now they should know how much folks appreciate those.
  9. SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Since I've been keen on the 1DmkIII since it has come out, I've done a lot of reading on it (and just flew out to B&H Monday and played with it and some Canon glass). In my reading, one of the things that Canon mentions is a new eyecup retention design on the mkIII to prevent losing eyecups. As a result, the eyepiece retention area is most certainly different on the mkIII the 5D. Checking the system catalog, it appears the other 1D eyecups are compatible with the mkIII, but there are some mkIII specific eyecups that are not compatible with the other 1D attachment mechanism.

The Canon brochure (systems, 2007, 20th anniversary) does mention several new dedicated accessories for the mkIII in their brochures. The ones listed are: EC-II, Eg (standard?), Ec (same as Eg, but with anti-fog), and eyeframe Ec*. Those are what is listed. I hope this info helps somehow.

PS B&H was a GREAT experience to visit in person--after spending tens of thousands of dollars there in the past.
  10. At $9.99 shipped, I went ahead and ordered the eyecup on eBay described as
    NEW Eyecup for Canon 5D 10D 20D 30D D60 D30 1D Series.

The eyecup arrived today. It is not designed for the Mark III. It is wide enough, but not tall enough to fit properly. With a bit of cutting and carving, I got it to fit but had to use some tape around the edges to hold it securely in place. The black tape doesn't bother me, although it might bother others.
    My purple hued RRS L-bracket bothers me a lot more.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until an eyecup designed for the Mark III reaches eBay.
  11. Congratulations Georgio! Don't leave us now! As they said, you're family.