Canon still updating its DSLR line. Will Nikon?

Everything I've read points to continued DSLR development from Nikon. Certainly the D6 is in prototype by now and there are hints that a D850 update is also in the works. I'd give a new DX dslr a 50-50 chance. Nikon appears to be putting lots of effort into the Z series and that may be the larger market for them going forward. However, Nikon admits that the biggest issue is the EVF and until they solve the lag factor they say they will have bodies for those of us that can't tolerate the evf. For myself, I could go the rest of my life shooting what I have as long as I could get them repaired as needed.

I'm pretty sure they are on record as saying that their strategy is to continue with both lines of cameras. A D750 replacement has been rumoured for some time, possibly to come early 2020. The D6 is supposed to be definitely on its way. I haven't seen anything recently re a D850 replacement but one is rumoured - just not soon. There has been nothing about a D500 replacement as far as I know; nor have I seen anything about replacements for D3---, D5--- or D7--- series cameras.

I'd love an updated D750 with 4K video, OSPDAF in live-view, D850 AF module and huge 100 shot raw buffer. Though I think that ship has sailed and it's the Z mount moving forward. For some shooting scenarios though, I just don't like mirrorless. Doing flash photography in complete darkness, DSLRs with infrared focus lights are far superior than MILCs.

I'd love an updated D750 with 4K video, OSPDAF in live-view, D850 AF module and huge 100 shot raw buffer. Though I think that ship has sailed and it's the Z mount moving forward. For some shooting scenarios though, I just don't like mirrorless. Doing flash photography in complete darkness, DSLRs with infrared focus lights are far superior than MILCs.
A mirrorless with 'light boost' is impressive.
You can see better through the EVF than with your naked eyes.

I've never shot in complete darkness.
There was always "some" light, as little as it might be.

A mirrorless with 'light boost' is impressive.
You can see better through the EVF than with your naked eyes.

I've never shot in complete darkness.
There was always "some" light, as little as it might be.
Event photography in dimly lit venues is one area that DSLRs dominate over MILCs, especially when shooting stopped down with strobes/flashes. The reaction time is faster and easier to compose your shots with on a DSLR. MILCs have their place, but DSLRs are still superior in certain areas.

Real Name
Randy
Event photography in dimly lit venues is one area that DSLRs dominate over MILCs, especially when shooting stopped down with strobes/flashes. The reaction time is faster and easier to compose your shots with on a DSLR. MILCs have their place, but DSLRs are still superior in certain areas.
which is kinda like high school football......how does a z7 or whatever is the best compare to a D5 for focus acquisition and tracking. I just wonder if we can tell any faster than a D5 + 400e, forgetting the iso8k lack of light in high school stadiums in Charlotte (lots of old high schools). But if I could ever go smaller that would be nice because that combo is still a beast. It was a lot worse with the 400g

Hmmmm...
Jonathan, with respect - not so sure about "dominates". The majority of my shooting consists of burlesque, belly dancing, wrestling, and fire eating artists - all in dimly lit areas. I haven't had any shooting issues with these types of events with my Z 6...

Real Name
Ian
which is kinda like high school football......how does a z7 or whatever is the best compare to a D5 for focus acquisition and tracking. I just wonder if we can tell any faster than a D5 + 400e, forgetting the iso8k lack of light in high school stadiums in Charlotte (lots of old high schools). But if I could ever go smaller that would be nice because that combo is still a beast. It was a lot worse with the 400g
The Z6 would be the better comparison to the D5 instead of the Z7. Lower MP images, faster buffer clearing, etc.

As for how they perform, well... The Z6/Z7 are Nikon's first real mirrorless cameras. The D5 is Nikon's 7th professional PJ/sports/action DSLR. One cameras costs $2,000, the other costs $6,000. Is the D5 better than the Z6 for shooting fast action in low light? The Z6 is a fantastic camera, but it's not a D5.

Hmmmm...
Jonathan, with respect - not so sure about "dominates". The majority of my shooting consists of burlesque, belly dancing, wrestling, and fire eating artists - all in dimly lit areas. I haven't had any shooting issues with these types of events with my Z 6...
It is being able to follow and track a fast moving subject in low light; football running back with the ball running for a TD, basketball player making a break to the basket, etc.
Until I started trying to shoot sports with my mirrorless, I did not have any problem with the EVF.
Once I started shooting fast sports, the EVF limitation became clear.

The EVF on the less than top $$$$ pro cameras are apparently not yet up to the task.
They are getting better with each generation, but IMHO still have a ways to go.

I generally shoot an Olympus EM1-mk2. But for night and gym games, I use the D7200.

I would love to do an A/B comparison of a Z6 with my D7200 or a D750.

Real Name
Randy
The Z6 would be the better comparison to the D5 instead of the Z7. Lower MP images, faster buffer clearing, etc.

As for how they perform, well... The Z6/Z7 are Nikon's first real mirrorless cameras. The D5 is Nikon's 7th professional PJ/sports/action DSLR. One cameras costs $2,000, the other costs $6,000. Is the D5 better than the Z6 for shooting fast action in low light? The Z6 is a fantastic camera, but it's not a D5.
I didn't think the z6/z7 were even close, I was wondering about Sony

Hmmmm...
Dim as being barely lit? I'm talking about venues and subjects that won't have any lights. Poorly lit bars, clubs, dance floors off to the corner, etc. basically everything else that's not center stage. DSLRs in these situations don't need to "see" using the sensor and can instantly capture without delay rapidly firing the flash at the peak mechanical FPS. Mirrorless just isn't there yet when used in extreme case scenarios where money is on the line.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom