Canon to a D3, any advice?

Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
Well I have never shot Nikon before and I am pretty excited to see what this camera company is all about.

I am coming from a Mark II and Mark III. I don't have any glass yet for my D3, but will soon.

Any advice, threads, websites you could give me to get familiar with this machine.

Thanks :)
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
8,439
Location
Maple Bay, Duncan, BC, Canada
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Well welcome to the club! The D3 is an amazing camera, as for how to best use it, you probably have to get us a bit more info on what you shoot, but I would go to http://www.bythom.com and read his D3 review. Thom Hogan also has really good books on how to use Nikon Cameras, I would order his D3 book ( http://bythom.com/nikond3guide.htm ) out by August 14th, his books are very well laid out and has a tremendous amount of information.
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
300
Location
HUMBLE, TEXAS-USA
Dittos on the "welcome" and on the "most" amazing camera. I suggest, as with any system, get to know the menus and as with you Canon, shoot shoot shoot. Having the two top Canon making the transitions will not be that hard. Getting use to the button layout will be a little tricky. Welcome again!
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
If you need lens advice take a look at the lens lust forum...

I shoot sports about 90% of the time, then my family and portraits the other 10% or so.

Lenses I will be getting some sort of 300 2.8 and then a 135 F2 or 85 F1.4 or 1.8 for portrait and indoor basketball.

The 300 is either going to be sigma or nikon. The sigma prime seems really nice and good quality.

I just opened the box and of course I have zero lenses right now :( Wish I did so I could fool around with it.

Oh well I still have some of my canon stuff so at least I can shoot when needed.

And yes the menu/button layout is very different.

Man I love that LCD though :)
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
I am going to be completely honest, I am lost. After being with Canon for 4 years I have been so used to their layout and functions.

But going to Nikon is, wow different!

Anyways just shooting as much as I can right now, trying to choose what settings I like best, etc...

here is one with a nikon 85 F1.8 (vivid preset)

2744657255_d8a9957fbb_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
300
Location
HUMBLE, TEXAS-USA
Nice! I shoot vivid as well to pull the colors of the players uniforms and race cars.
If you haven't set up your "My Menu" yet, do so it will save you a lot of time looking for setting and such. I would like to hear your commits on the button lay out once you get familiar and find you way around the controls. Good shooting!
 
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
1,002
Location
CHARLOTTE
Real Name
Randy
I shoot sports about 90% of the time, then my family and portraits the other 10% or so.

Lenses I will be getting some sort of 300 2.8 and then a 135 F2 or 85 F1.4 or 1.8 for portrait and indoor basketball.

The 300 is either going to be sigma or nikon. The sigma prime seems really nice and good quality.

I just opened the box and of course I have zero lenses right now :( Wish I did so I could fool around with it.

Oh well I still have some of my canon stuff so at least I can shoot when needed.

And yes the menu/button layout is very different.

Man I love that LCD though :)


I had the sigma 300 2.8 and sold it, it was soft at 2.8
The nikon 300 2.8 is a legend.
 
Joined
Oct 7, 2006
Messages
896
3rding the Nikon 300. I have one and it is amazing. I haven't used it at all on my D3(Only used for sports and I got the D3 just recently) but on my D200 and D300 it has been great.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
Thanks for the advice :)

The issue right now is I just don't have the funds for the Nikon 300 F2.8. My choices are the 120-300 and the 300 prime from sigma.

I had the 120-300 on my mark III and I thought it was really soft at 2.8 and very very sharp at F4.

But I will shoot a ton of football (night high school) this fall and I need the 2.8 to be sharp.

From what I have read the Prime is sharper then the zoom from sigma. SO i will give the prime a chance.
 
T

topher04r1

Guest
MATT your switching to the D3 .....LOL ... go figure ... If you need help with your glass selection let me know ... i've been arround the nikon camp (and shot with both professionally) for a long time ...... Good to see you here as there are a TON of great people !!!
 
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,985
Location
Orlando, Florida
From what I have read the Prime is sharper then the zoom from sigma. SO i will give the prime a chance.

That's interesting as from all accounts I've read (including a comment from Sigma directly) the zoom seems to be sharper than the prime. I've never tried the prime but was able to borrow/shoot with the 120-300 when I was shooting Nikon. Very nice lens!
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
MATT your switching to the D3 .....LOL ... go figure ... If you need help with your glass selection let me know ... i've been arround the nikon camp (and shot with both professionally) for a long time ...... Good to see you here as there are a TON of great people !!!


Never thought I would see you here :)

Yeah topher I love this D3! The focus is solid, the choices you can make with the camera are great.

I love the Mark III though as well, but to be honest I think the focus is better at least from what I have seen so far on a D3 then the Mark III.

Good to see ya man :)
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
832
Location
Sandy, UT
That's interesting as from all accounts I've read (including a comment from Sigma directly) the zoom seems to be sharper than the prime. I've never tried the prime but was able to borrow/shoot with the 120-300 when I was shooting Nikon. Very nice lens!

Yeah on the lens review site (will have to find it) people have said that the 300 DG APO is sharper plus the tests another site (again will have to find the link) showed the differences between the two which showed it sharper then the zoom.

Both are really solid lenses I am assuming. I really liked the zoom, but didn't like the fact that I had to fine adjust it by -20 on my mark III for it to be sharp. Plus when in ai servo it had issues focusing it seemed. It would shift for no reason (could have been the mark III). Though with a 300 F2.8 L on it it was solid and quick.
 
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
193
Location
Just North of London, UK
Hehe, another POTN'er here. Caldwell I think shoots wide open on his 120-300 and swears by it. Maybe your Canon fit copy wasn't as good as it could have been?

Thanks for the advice :)

The issue right now is I just don't have the funds for the Nikon 300 F2.8. My choices are the 120-300 and the 300 prime from sigma.

I had the 120-300 on my mark III and I thought it was really soft at 2.8 and very very sharp at F4.

But I will shoot a ton of football (night high school) this fall and I need the 2.8 to be sharp.

From what I have read the Prime is sharper then the zoom from sigma. SO i will give the prime a chance.
 
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,235
Location
Hong Kong, China
I have used my son's 120-300 and I think it is very sharp at f4, even with the Sigma TC1.4. It even works OK with the TC2.0 too. I wish it has VR, then it will be much better for handheld.

I did not have too much experience at f2.8 as I was shooting birds at close range. I usually use f4-5.6 when possible to get a bit more DOF.

I think if your copy was, as you said, very soft at f2.8 and very sharp at f4, it could be an AF issue!

I guess with the D3 you can live with f4 - you should really consider the Nikkor 300/4. Its only disadvantage is no VR and you might be intimidated holding it next to the 300/400/2.8s! The 200-400/f4 is excellent too, but it is considerably more expensive than the 300/2.8.
 
P

Panopeeper

Guest
I don't have any glass yet for my D3, but will soonThanks :)

Don't forget to buy some lenses as well. One of the advantages of Canons is, that they can use Nikon lenses, but note vice verse.
 

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom