1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canon to Nikon switch need advise..

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by revoke99, Aug 8, 2008.

1. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    I was wondering if nikon counter parts are just as fast in AF and IQ..

Canon 135 f/2 --Nikon 135 f/2 DC
    Canon 300 f/4 IS --Nikon 300 f/4

Right now I am looking into both of these lens..I've tested both of the nikon counter parts in the store but really can't tell without bringing them out to do a field test..

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i doubt the nikon 135 is as good as the canon...i had the canon but not the nikon...the canon 135 is an awesome lens

the nikon 300/4 afs is very fast

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the nikon 135 is just as good as the canon according to reviews... and it has DC.

4. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Thanks for the help..I was looking at the both at a local camera store and they both seem to focus fast..But I think I am going to hold off for now and just enjoy my new camera and get use to it..Thanks guys for you input..

5. Too bad that Nikon does not have VR in its 300/f4 AFS. The IQ is quite good and VR would just let one use it in less light and for better hand held shots. It is light enough to shoot hand held.

6. Revoke - how have you found the switch? I'm thinking of making the jump - to get D300, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-300 VR (possibly other combinations, I'll post another thread to get responses for that though).

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    I've owned or own all those lenses. My subjective impression is that the Canons have the edge.

135mm
    The Canon has faster AF.
    The Canon is a bit sharper wide open.
    The Nikon is decently sharp at f/2, but really starts to shine starting at f/2.5
    Otherwise, IQ is pretty much equal.
    I like the pull-out hood on the Nikon.:wink:

300mm
    The Canon has slightly faster AF.
    IQ is equal.
    IS is a nice bonus feature. :wink:
    White isn't a nice color for a lens. :frown:

The Canon 135 2 is what keeps me dipping my toes in Canon's waters.
    Nikon currently has superior high iso bodies, but Canon has superior primes (AF speed/aperture) in the lengths I need for gymnastics shooting.

I'm currently using a 135 2 DC with the D700 and am pleased with theatre shots wide open. Its AF is noticeably faster than my 180 2.8, but I'm still not certain whether it's fast enough for low light indoor sports shooting. I'm anxious to see what new bodies Canon will unveil over the next month or so.

8. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey

Thanks..I too feel that the canon 135 AF is faster but then I was thinking it was probably my mark III body..But so far I really like the IQ of nikon glass it has a different look to it..I think the only lens I miss is canons 35 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.2..I just don't think nikons 35 and 85 is as good but that is just me..

9. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Well I almost did when I saw the d3 but the canon primes is what made me stay with canon..After being a member of POTN under the name of kobe629 and fredmiranda under the name revoke99 I have met and spoke with people who did the switch or has both and after talking to them and the d700 came out I just felt it was time..Nikon is really has the edge on high iso and that is what I was looking for...Also I wanted to try out there 14-24 and there 24 tilt shift when it comes back in stock. The only thing I like about canon compared to nikon is the price of tele's they are much cheaper and fast primes..But looking how nikon is coming out with all these camera and lens I bet fast primes are just around the corner..MAKE THE SWITCH AND JOIN US..

10. prowicz

prowicz Guest

Nikon got a lot of catching up to do in the lens devision.

11. I've always got the impression from owners comments etc that the 300/4 is one of the slowest AFS lenses that was made :confused: 

12. I am an ex Canon guy. If you want a replacement for the 35 1.4, look at the Zeiss ZF 35 F2. This is providing you can get along without AF and F2. I bought the 25 and 35 ZF's, the lenses are incredible and better than the 24L or 35L which I have owned several times. Way less CA and much better on the edges. Both the ZF's are easy to focus on the D700 and beautifully made lenses besides.

Gene

13. I have one, I have never did a side by side with my 70-200 but I would say I never noticed any difference using one right after another.

14. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey

HI GeneC!!

I was the one that sold you one of your 35L..You came by my house to pick it up..I go by the name kobe629 in potn but here I decided to use revoke99 because I have some feed back on FM which is easier for people to track..So you did the switch tooo..:biggrin:

15. Of course I remember you:smile: Yes, I switched late last year. I just sold my last Canon lens a couple weeks, I waited a long time just to be sure it was the right move. I'm here 100% with Nikon and I'm happy! The worst part was getting beyond the fact that there just didn't seem to be enough lenses. I am now beyond that and find the Nikon equivalents are often times better. And guess what? I no longer buy a new Nikon lens and take it to Nikon for calibration. That's the way it was with Canon, everthing I bought seemed like it needed to be worked on before I could use it. Try a Zeiss 35 ZF and I think you will like it.:biggrin:

Gene

16. Hmm, lots of positive comments in here. If I could afford a setup like yours, then I don't think I'd be hesitating so much, but I have a budget of about £2,100 in total, so once I have a D300, that only leaves me with £1,200 for glass, and I am just not sure I can afford the quality of glass I'm used to (17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/4L, 85mm f/1.8, and nifty fifty).

I'm actually toying with the idea of 18-200 VR, with some primes - maybe 50mm f/1.4, and then either 85mm f/1.4, 100mm macro, or 135 f/2, or 180 f/2.8, just for the sheer convenience.

17. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    revoke99,
    I guess I do not understand the reason for the question. If you have made the switch to Nikon already, then what does it matter how the AF speed compares Nikon to Canon?:confused: 

If you have not switched yet, is the AF speed and IQ of these two lenses the crux of your decision?:confused: 

revoke99, goatee,

Have a good reason to switch, as it is not a minor undertaking - flashes, cords, remote shutter releases, tripod plates, etc. If you do decide to switch, buy the lenses you need, when you can afford them. note: need versus want...

goatee...
    The two primes in your Canon kit are really dups in terms of focal length - and only one stop faster than your zooms (which are excellent, BTW). So, in reality, to replace your Canon lens Kit, you only need replace two lenses...

I guess I just don't understand switching camera systems - Canon has its faults and strengths, just as Nikon does. In switching, one takes an economic beating, and unless there is a quantifiable business reason, - that's what I do not understand. :confused: 

To quote the Lovin Spoonful...
    You better go home, son, and make up your mind.:Curved:

18. Bear78

Bear78

Jul 26, 2008
    Colorado

This will change to Canon in less than 2 years.

Did I say that? It wasn't me :biggrin: :cool: 

19. I really don't think I will take a beating. The only camera specific things I'll need to sell (aside from camera, and glass etc) is a wireless shuter release, and a new Metz shoe for my flash :D . I bought all my gear secondhand, so will get similar prices selling it, that I paid, and for me, the compromises I'll have to make with Nikon are less than I'd have with Canon right now.

20. These very two lenses are the reason I almost switched to Canon. The 135mm DC is a great lens but it is not AF-S. The 300mm f4 is AF-S but does not have VR. Nikon needs to upgrade these lenses, for me they would be a downward step from the Canon counterparts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.