Canon vs Nikon trends etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PGB, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Friends,

The many recent threads regarding Canon vs Nikon have caused some angst among our membership here on the Cafe. Let me first state that this is, and will remain as, the Nikon Café. The purpose of the Café is to provide a place where members can enjoy the hobby or business of photography in a friendly and congenial place. It is a photography related site that is family oriented, one where all ages can learn and enjoy. While primarily a Nikon site it does not exclude other brands.

Discussion of camera brand will be limited to the "Other Camera's" sub-forum. That way those that do not wish to participate in brand discussions may simply ignore that sub-forum. In the future all camera brand discussion started in forums other than the "Other Camera's" sub-forum will be moved. Brand discussions should be done in a civil manner and guided by a desire to truly learn about the particular brand of camera in question. Postings that lead to or promote 'brand wars' will be heavily moderated.

With regards,

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    So in an effort to clear the air and understand what is permissible I have some questions:

Can a Canon person post pictures in the appropriate picture forums?

Your answer to question #1 affects the next question....

There has been talk of "disclosure". Should a Canon produced image be declared as such up front? or would you recommend any images be posted incognito with EXIF data stripped?

I have not joined in any of the monthly contests feeling that would be a violation of the spirit of the site...should all the planets align and I actually win, having a Canon produced image on the front page seemed wrong to me.
    What is your opinion?

I ask only for clarity as my willingness to post any photos here has dropped considerably over the past several weeks....if it is a Nikon only site I understand and will go post photos elsewhere... However, I personally feel this is the highest quality site available for professional assessment of any image...Nikon or Canon produced....and would like to remain a participant and contributor.

I shall oblige by whatever you feel is appropriate & proper.

Regards,

Randy

3. Yes Randy you can post pictures in any thread you want and also participate in general discussions. If you want to say the image was taken with a Canon camera that is fine. We are not asking anyone to go incognito. If you want to have a discussion on camera brands we will direct you to the "other camera" forum to do that. I will oft put what camera I am using in my picture posts but I do not do that for the purpose of one upping anyone, rather just for informational purposes for those that are interested. If that caused the thread to degenerate into a Canon vs Nikon discussion I would expect that this would be moved to the other camera forum.

Our aim is to get back to photography and to limit the endless brand vs brand discussion to one forum.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Gordon......made my day.

EXIF is the only place I think I'll mention Canon equipment.....

5. I'd like to see non-Nikon cameras identified when posted images are from them and not Nikons. It would be especially helpful for the high and very high ISO images claimed for them. I, for one, would not want to sea a high IQ image shot at ISO 3200 from a Canon (or any other non-Nikon) and think something like, "Well I have a Dxx, how come I can't get images like this", when perhaps, we really can't. It's misleading even if it isn't intentional (and it probably isn't).

6. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Sory, but if Canon pictures are to be allowed anywhere but the Other Camera forum, in my opinion, this is no longer the Nikon Cafe.

7. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Life's too short for angst. :biggrin:

This is a semi-serious, semi-humorous question. And I've been struggling all day with how to word it properly. Maybe my POV is warped because I have the oft-bashed D40....LOL!

I remember being mildly surprised the first time I checked the EXIF on a pic, and it was taken by a Canon. Shrugged, appreciated the image, moved on.

But if we stop appreciating because of the C-word...where does it stop? Unless you have the same body, and same glass...it's all a mix. Does that mean I can't learn anything from a pic, because it was taken with a D200, and I've got the lowly D40? What about a D70? D1h? Whatabout someone who has the 300 2.8, and I've only got the 70-300VR? Where does it stop?

Disagreeing without being disagreeable is a tough asset to find, and I rather appreciate it about this place. Maybe I'm too "new" to fail to see the warts. Maybe they're just not warts to me.

My quarter's worth.

8. thomamueller

thomamueller

Jun 23, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ditto Lisa. BTW is that your dog in the POD over a Image-Resource (7-29)

9. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    If it's a nice picture, or someone post a shot asking for a critic to learn or post an image to teach about the technique they used, then I don't care what brand of camera is used. The Nikon Cafe is more about a forum attitude (fun, friendly, respectful) then it is about a brand.

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I believe that, whilst the site is and should remain the Nikon Cafe, it shouldn't be exclusively for Nikon shot images, Nikon discussions, Nikon equipment.

I'm minded of a song by one of my favourite artists, Peter Gabriel.

He's been heard to introduce one of his songs with the words "This next song is about groups of people breaking themselves into smaller groups of people in order to feel stronger by excluding others"

The song is called Not One of Us...

Is that the way this forum want's to be?

11. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    'fraid not....wouldn't THAT be cool. :smile:

12. Why are Canon shooters hanging out in the Nikon forums? I guess it's fine if you use both equipment, but aren't there enough Canon only forums?

BTW - I've posted Canon P&S pictures, but all my SLR photos are Nikon!

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've had to think long and hard how to articulate my feelings on this matter. While I feel that photos are photos and it shouldn't matter which brand you shoot to get them, this is a Nikon Forum and it should stay that way. Users of other brands should be welcome to post relavent comments to existing threads and start new ones if about Nikon (and Fuji and Kodak DSLRs) gear. General forum, ok, that's a free for all, but this site should stay focused on what you can do with your Nikon gear. If the mods insist, create a sub-forum just for other gear, including photo galleries. That way, anyone not interested in non-Nikon subjects and photos isn't misled.
    Granted, there are some folks who have switched or are switching away from Nikon, and they would be missed, but let's remember that was THEIR choice. There used to be a companion Canon forum, what ever happen to that and maybe it could be reserected as a solution.
    Some refer to this site as a family or community, but let's remember that in any family or community, individuals come and go by their own free will and decision.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Wow

Camera Racism at the Cafe :) 

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Personally

I absolutely want Canon shooters, both past and present to post here and in fact, I eagerly look forward to it as a learning experience.

Be they Canon to Nikon converts or Nikon to Canon converts...their experiences and reports are worth their weight in gold if one is actually looking to learn something.

16. I am not sure how you came up with this interpretation of what was posted by Patrick and the answer I gave to Randy, a Canon shooter. You can post pictures on any forum that you like. If you want a discussion of Canon vs Nikon this must be posted on the Other Camera forum. Please do not read more into this announcement than was intended.

Nothing except uncivil behavior has been excluded and that was already prohibited. Canon, Fuji, Nikon or any other brand can post all the images that they want. My brand is better than your brand does not belong on the Cafe; however, civil discussions about different cameras can be put in the Other Camera forum. This only excludes those who do not want to live up to the existing rules here on the Cafe.

17. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Let's all get back to taking pictures and having fun at it.

18. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Gordon

I did not imply that you or Patrick said that, I said IMO. I respect the right of the owners/administartors/moderators to do what they please since I don't pay the bills, I simply stated my opinion.

19. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

This is an interesting topic and post. It reminds me of the "vs" wars between 1.8's and 1.4's. I'll stick with any rules that are part of the constitution of the Nikon Cafe, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.