Canon's dominance at sports events.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuSimmo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. I have been to several sports events in the last few months including stadium events and over the last few days the New Zealand leg of the World Rally Championship.

I am not a professional (just a keen amateur) but I have noticed that of the pro photographers I have only seen 2 out of the last 50 using Nikon. Just wondering what the reasons behind this are ???? Do Canon give the kit away or something ???

The predominance at these events must affect sales as there was quite a few people with digital slr's at these events and they must see the branding with the pros wandering around.

I am free to promote Nikon if they want to supply some kit :D

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I really don't care what folks shoot with as long as they like thier gear.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'm with Gale, don't care who makes the thing as
    long as it get the picture you want.

4. Personally I like black lenses and that alone would sway me to Nikon. Daughters shoot Canon and they are happy as well. All just photographers trying our best to get a good image.

5. Agreed,

My first instinct was to go into the file too small, file too large debate but really, who cares. We now have such a magnificent camera body that it doesn't even matter to me. I love my 2x and am glad that Canon has made the very fine body's it has produced. Probably in no small way, that is why the 2x is as nice as it is.

Don't look at the grass on the other side of the fence, go shoot it with the best camera in the world.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Stu,

I almost got a 10D back last year before I bought the D70. Since then I have seen quite a few really good wildlife shots with various Canon cams and lenses. I don't really look at that many sporting event shots (except those posted here and over on DPR in the Nikon forums), so I can't comment on how the Canon pro cams compare with the D2H in that arena.

In any case, the thing I like most about owning a Nikon is all of the wonderful folks I've met who are also Nikon shooters. I'm sure that the same would have been true if I had bought that 10D, but I wouldn't swap you guys for the world. :wink:

The truth is, I'm much more interested in the person behind the cam than the brand in any case. Met some nice N shooters and some nice C shooters. To me, they are all just shooters. :lol:

Regards,

Frank

7. I wasnt...

Hi everyone,

I wasnt trying to start a "I like Nikon / Canon" thread. It was more of an observation which made me think that Canon must promote to pro's very heavily.

Do the pro's here ever get Nikon or Canon or others approaching them with deals, etc ???

Stu

8. The most interesting thing about this thread is the direction it took after the initial post. At DPR, this would have turned into a free for all of "your an idiot" banter or "go away you have no business talking about my camera like that" post's.

Just a casual observation. good job everyone.

9. Stu, did you get any rally images? Have you posted them? :shock:
    I would love to see them (even if taken with a Canon... :wink: )

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Re: I wasnt...

I have never been approached by any camera manufacturer in my time as a professional shooter - and neither has any of my pro colleques from what they tell me.

However, this might not be true for staff shooters at large organisations, whereby because of bulk purchases, Canon might give larger discounts to those organisations.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Canon's Early release of Supertele IS

Eventhough Nikon invented VR, Canon was the first to have a line of IS superteles. They make a huge difference in sports. This goes back to the film days and they never switched back. Look at the news press corp (like at a Whitehouse event) and the numbers are more even.

14. Why not let this thread die? I personally don't care what camera anyone shoots with. What difference does it make if Canon, or Nikon for that matter, gives all sorts of money or goodies to certain photographers?

We're here for the enjoyment of photography; let's post some images.

Rich :?

15. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I don't see this thread going south. If people want to talk about gear let them. You just don't have to read it ;)

I see this as a nice discussion & think it should continue if people have more to add.

Dave

16. Rich

Hi Rich,

I personally dont care what cameras people use either. I was just wondering how things had become so biased and whether it was due to incentives or more active sales to professionals.

Sorry if you thought my question was a bit of a waste of time.

Stu

17. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    I was in New York this past weekend. In two of the high end department stores, there were photo shoots of inanimate objects going on and both photographers were using Canon cameras. I wondered about that too.

I agree with everyone though that it really doesn't matter what camera a person is using, it's the person behind the camera that says it all.

18. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Nancy,

It does matter what camera, and what lens - poor cameras and poor lenses make you miss photo opportunities, and limit your creativity. What does not matter is brand - given it is a good camera, good lens and last but not least good ergonomics.

Camera and lens quality and responsiveness are most important when you start photography. Usual cliche "it's photographer..." - why then professionals spend fortune on equipment?

On different events you will see different mix ratios if you will look closer.

It is up to Nikon how they advertise, and how they warm up and welcome media, dealers and pros.

Just my opinion :)

19. Either works. I think four things lean in favor for Canon when it comes to sports right now:

1) Noise Reduction at hi-iso (The D2 series is now implementing NR adjustments)
    2) IS lenses in hi-end telephotos (Nikon is closing the gap)
    3) 1.3x crop factor means bigger viewfinder, but still utilizes the advantages of the crop (using lens sweet spot and the perceived extend focal length, but Nikon has really sweet DX lenses that work on all Nikon digital SLRs unlike the EF-S lenses)
    4) Canon has a solid line up with no product gaps. (most Canon guys I know have a 1Dmark2 and a 20D - Nikon has always been slow)

To be honest, I might of gone Canon right now if I wasn't invested in Nikon. :p

4 things I like about Nikon:
    1) I prefer Nikon glass
    2) I prefer Nikon ergonomics
    3) I prefer Nikon image output
    4) I prefer Nikon flashes

20. Jonathan,

One other thing that I'd add to you list of Pro-Nikon attributes - Nikon Software.