Can't delete Recycle Bin

It used to take just a few seconds to delete the entire Recycle Bin. In the last three attempts, the system hung up within the range of 3% complete to 19% complete and stopped deleting anything else. After each unsuccessful attempt, I rebooted using a hard reboot. CrystalDisk says the health status of my new SSD is 100% Good.

Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I hope you mean that you tried to EMPTY the Recycle Bin, not delete it? You should right-click on it, then click on Empty Recycle Bin.

What you need to do next is right-click on your C: drive, then click Properties, then select the Tools tab, then click on the Check button. We know your hardware is OK, but perhaps there is some sort of corruption.

Then I would keep trying to empty the bin, there may be something indigestible that you have fed it that it can't manage to swallow. After getting rid of everything else you could be left with the problem item, and then we can tackle it.

Real Name
Andrew
Agree with growl tiger. Try deleting smaller chunks of data.
I’ve had issues before where some other program is reporting to windows that the file is in use and refuses to delete it. Usually a reboot handles that, but it might be something else.

I’ve also had windows choke when trying to delete too much at one time.

sounds like a right pain in the backside. 🤔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope you mean that you tried to EMPTY the Recycle Bin, not delete it? You should right-click on it, then click on Empty Recycle Bin.
Yes, I'm unsuccessfully trying to delete the contents of the Recycle Bin, not the bin itself.

What you need to do next is right-click on your C: drive, then click Properties, then select the Tools tab, then click on the Check button.
I did that and the report was that there are no problems. I then Scanned the C: drive and the scan also found no problems.

Then I would keep trying to empty the bin
Try deleting smaller chunks of data.
I tried deleting about 150 files at a time. That worked only a few times. Now I can't delete even one file at a time and it doesn't matter which file I try to delete. When trying to delete files, the following is displayed about the most recent unsuccessful attempts since rebooting:

Recycle.PNG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I’ve had issues before where some other program is reporting to windows that the file is in use and refuses to delete it. Usually a reboot handles that, but it might be something else.
I've also had that happen. Closing the pertinent program usually solves the problem even though the pertinent file was not being used by the program at the time. When that doesn't work, rebooting has always worked. However, the problem I've got right now is a completely different situation.

Method 2 looks frightening because I wonder what will happen if restarting the computer becomes problematic. I would appreciate it if at least a couple people here would reassure me that it's advisable to try this method.

Method 3 (killing One Drive): This seems not pertinent because I don't knowingly use One Drive. Perhaps it's built into the system, but if so I don't use it. Thoughts about that?

Method 4 (updating Windows Store Apps): This also seems not pertinent because I've never used or heard of Windows Store. Thoughts about that?

Real Name
Andrew
Method 2 looks frightening because I wonder what will happen if restarting the computer becomes problematic. I would appreciate it if at least a couple people here would reassure me that it's advisable to try this method.

Method 3 (killing One Drive): This seems not pertinent because I don't knowingly use One Drive. Perhaps it's built into the system, but if so I don't use it. Thoughts about that?

Method 4 (updating Windows Store Apps): This also seems not pertinent because I've never used or heard of Windows Store. Thoughts about that?
I killed one drive on my personal computer. If you have an MS account and Windows 10, it tries to force it upon you. If you look in the running apps in the task bar, you'll probably see it there. I signed out of it completely.

Windows Store is much like One Drive. It is there and you don't even realize it.

I killed one drive on my personal computer. If you have an MS account and Windows 10, it tries to force it upon you. If you look in the running apps in the task bar, you'll probably see it there. I signed out of it completely.
Thanks, Andrew. You're right that it's displayed in the task bar and the indication is that it "isn't connected." I assume there is nothing for me to do.

Windows Store is much like One Drive. It is there and you don't even realize it.
It's apparently hidden fairly well, as I can't find it. I've never used it, so I don't think it's causing my problem.

Keep trying to empty it. Show us what happens when you do. Last time you showed lots of things happening at once, keep it simple.
I'll reboot again, make one attempt and provide the screen shot. I'll do that before going to bed so it will be available for you to review tomorrow morning.

If you want to think about it in the mean time, ignore the top three progress bars, as those keep reappearing with no change in progress until I reboot. Even the last progress bar in the screen shot had not changed during a ten-minute period.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Something else to try. Suppose it is working down the list and there is just one bad file, so it gets stuck in the same place.
I'm guessing that at the moment you are emptying by right-click on it and clicking on Empty Recycle Bin.

So instead of doing that, simply select the last few files in the list, select them, and hit the Delete key. It asks for confirmation and you click Yes.
Now by getting rid of chunks you should be able to keep going until there is just one file left. Try it.

select the last few files in the list, select them, and hit the Delete key. It asks for confirmation and you click Yes.
Now by getting rid of chunks you should be able to keep going until there is just one file left. Try it.
It worked several times when the group was no larger than 20 files. Now it won't delete anything and the progress bars are no longer being displayed. Even if it would return to deleting 20 files at a time, more than 110 sessions would be required.

Real Name
Andrew
Might want to try resetting the recycle bin. Found this:

Step 1: Go to the search box of Windows 10, input cmd, right-click Command Prompt and run it as administrator.

Step 2: Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin in the CMD window and press Enter.

Step 3: reboot computer.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom