Can't delete Recycle Bin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it was me I would have uninstalled and scrapped the cataloguing software.
It makes no sense to me to stop cataloging images or to change cataloging software simply because the Recycle Bin won't empty by pressing the Delete key but will empty when using the Command Prompt. The only reasons I even care about the Recycle Bin is because backing it up takes time and storage space and because an Adobe technician told me years ago that Photoshop doesn't play nice when a lot of files are in the Recycle Bin. I have no idea if that was true then or now.

Moreover, I can find no reports or even questions about the Recycle Bin at the cataloging software's support forum. That makes me think it's highly unlikely that anyone other than me is experiencing this issue. That in turn makes me think it's highly unlikely that the cataloging software is causing the problem.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It makes no sense to me to stop cataloging images or to change cataloging software simply because the Recycle Bin won't empty by pressing the Delete key but will empty when using the Command Prompt. The only reasons I even care about the Recycle Bin is because backing it up takes time and storage space and because an Adobe technician told me years ago that Photoshop doesn't play nice when a lot of files are in the Recycle Bin. I have no idea if that was true then or now.

Moreover, I can find no reports or even questions about the Recycle Bin at the cataloging software's support forum. That makes me think it's highly unlikely that anyone other than me is experiencing this issue. That in turn makes me think it's highly unlikely that the cataloging software is causing the problem.
You are logically correct, but I feel prejudice against that software, I don't like the sound of what it gets up to.

You are logically correct, but I feel prejudice against that software, I don't like the sound of what it gets up to.
Which is my issue too and why I suggested what I did. If you just give it a whirl and the issue goes away guess what? You identified the issue. You're too stuck on the idea that your recycle bin and software are unrelated and you may be right but the first step in troubleshooting is isolating the variables. Your software may just be the variable.

But if you truly don't care about the issue this thread was for what?

Brings to mind an old poem:

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
Would not take the garbage out!
She'd scour the pots and scrape the pans,
Candy the yams and spice the hams,

And though her daddy would scream and shout,
She simply would not take the garbage out.
And so it piled up to the ceilings:
Coffee grounds, potato peelings
Brown bananas, rotten peas,
Chunks of sour cottage cheese.

It filled the can, it covered the floor,
It cracked the window and blocked the door
With bacon rinds and chicken bones,
Drippy ends of ice cream cones,

Prune pits, peach pits, orange peel,
Gloppy glumps of cold oatmeal,
Pizza crusts and withered greens,
Soggy beans and tangerines,
Crusts of black burned buttered toast,

Gristly bits of beefy roasts. . .
The garbage rolled on down the hall,
It raised the roof, it broke the wall. . .
Greasy napkins, cookie crumbs,
Globs of gooey bubble gum,
Cellophane from green baloney,
Rubbery blubbery macaroni,
Peanut butter, caked and dry,
Curdled milk and crusts of pie,
Moldy melons, dried-up mustard,
Eggshells mixed with lemon custard,
Cold French fries and rancid meat,
Yellow lumps of Cream of Wheat.
At last the garbage reached so high
That it finally touched the sky.

And all the neighbors moved away,
And none of her friends would come to play.
And finally Sarah Cynthia Stout said,
"OK, I'll take the garbage out!"
But then, of course, it was too late. . .
The garbage reached across the state,
From New York to the Golden Gate.
And there, in the garbage she did hate,
Poor Sarah met an awful fate,
That I cannot now relate
Because the hour is much too late.
But children, remember Sarah Stout
And always take the garbage out!

the first step in troubleshooting is isolating the variables. Your software may just be the variable.
I'm not nearly as interested in trouble shooting as finding a practical solution or practical workaround. The trouble shooting should be left up to the developers and I'm not getting paid nor want to give my time to the developers to make that happen. I've already found a practical workaround.

But if you truly don't care about the issue this thread was for what?
If you review the entire thread, you'll realize that it was about finding a solution that results in deleting all the files in the Recycle Bin. I believe that goal was reasonably stated in the first post of the thread and clarified just three posts later. You'll also realize that I've consistently found a method of doing that thanks to the others that generously contributed to the thread. That success story was provided in post #28, which is exactly forty posts ago. If you're not satisfied with that outcome, you're very welcome to ignore this thread.

Last edited:
Folks,

I'm going to follow through on my most recent commitment in this thread to deleting image files (sending them to the Recycle Bin) using Windows rather than the cataloging software. I'll then determine if those files can be deleted from the Recycle Bin. If so, that would put the cataloging software in suspicion in my mind. I've not yet had the opportunity to do that but I will report to the thread once I do.

Last edited:
I'm not nearly as interested in trouble shooting as finding a practical solution or practical workaround. The trouble shooting should be left up to the developers and I'm not getting paid nor want to give my time to the developers to make that happen. I've already found a practical workaround.

If you review the entire thread, you'll realize that it was about finding a solution that results in deleting all the files in the Recycle Bin. I believe that goal was reasonably stated in the first post of the thread and clarified just three posts later. You'll also realize that I've consistently found a method of doing that thanks to the others that generously contributed to the thread. That success story was provided in post #28, which is exactly forty posts ago. If you're not satisfied with that outcome, you're very welcome to ignore this thread.
This is at least the 2nd time you've posted a thread looking for help and then got salty with the responses. I'll not only ignore this thread, but you from now on as there is no point. Good day.

I'm going to follow through on my most recent commitment in this thread to deleting image files (sending them to the Recycle Bin) using Windows rather than the cataloging software.
I had been waiting until I had added hundreds of new photos to my system but this morning realized that I don't have to do that to conduct the test. Instead, I copied nearly 4000 image files to a new set of folders and sub folders. Duh!

Test 1 -- Use Windows to delete image files and XMP files that had been imported into the cataloging software
All of the source image files had gone through my cataloging and post-processing workflow and all of the copied files had been imported into the catalog. The files were copied using Windows (not the cataloging software). I then deleted 600 of the copied files again using Windows, which of course automatically sent them to the Recycle Bin. The Recycle Bin had been empty prior to doing so. I then tried deleting all of the image files from the Recycle Bin. No luck; only 120 files were deleted and that behavior is the same as I have been recently experiencing when using the cataloging software to send them to the Recycle Bin.

Test 2 -- Use Windows to delete image files and XMP files that had NOT been imported into the cataloging software
This test is exactly the same as Test 1 except none of the copied files were imported into the catalog. Still no luck; same results as the first test.

Conclusions
Nothing is entirely conclusive until the cause of the problem is determined and successfully eliminated, but I still have no evidence that the cataloging software or any software application that touches the image files is causing this problem. Therefore, I'm concluding until proven otherwise that it's safe to continue using those programs as part of my cataloging and post-processing workflow.

From this point going forward, I'm resigned to emptying the Recycle Bin by using the Command Prompt. That's such a simple workaround that I wish all my problems would have such a simple workaround, such as the problem of not having the right wine to pair with the supper I want to cook. 🍷 🍷

Last edited:
I just now realized that the first time I unsuccessfully try to delete a lot of files (at least 300 files) from the Recycle Bin, that process hangs up at 19% completed regardless of the number of files that I'm attempting to delete. There's gotta be something helpful about that information to all you gurus. (Yeah, right! :eek: )

Last edited:
I just now realized that the first time I unsuccessfully try to delete a lot of files (at least 300 files) from the Recycle Bin, that process hangs up at 19% deleted regardless of the number of files that I'm attempting to delete. There's gotta be something helpful about that information to all you gurus. (Yeah, right! :eek: )
You need a bigger garbage can, or more expensive service! :rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom