Can't get laptop to reflect ACR 8.1...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
OS = Windows 7 on both desktop and laptop PCs.

I have CS6 on both my desktop machine and my laptop. The laptop only gets used when I travel in the U.S.

So, today I decided to make sure my CS6 related software and LR were all up to date.

My desktop shows CS6 version 13.0.1 x64 , Bridge version 5.0.2.4, ACR version 8.1.0.43.

However, after updating everything on my laptop to the same version of CS6 and Bridge, the ACR version on my laptop is 7.1!!!! I can't seem to get ACR 8.1 to show up.

On the Adobe downloads page I found ACR and DNG converter 8.1, which I downloaded and installed on the laptop and desktop. Still not seeing verison 8.1 in Bridge on the laptop.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Are you sure you are running Bridge CS6 and not an older version you have installed as well on the laptop? Check the Help/About. (And the version of ACR isn't shown within Bridge, only when you open a NEF using ACR.)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yep, CS6 running and upgrades on both machines.

Hope Adobe isn't limiting upgrades to CS6....!

I launched CS6 on both the desktop and the laptop, then selected Edit/Camera Raw Preferences..... One shows one ACR version, the laptop show the older ACR version....

I can confirm that ACR 8.1.0.43 is available - it is on my CS6 after a notification by Adobe updater that new programs available.

AFAIK the download for ACR 8.1 is not available as a straight download. What you have downloaded is only the DNG converter which does not contain ACR.

The way to update according to Adobe is to go to Update in the Help menu.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
For whatever reason (I've always suspected Adobe doesn't like me having a second copy on my laptop....) on my laptop the Update through the Help menu has never worked! It repeatedly says "the update server is not responding....". That doesn't make sense as I'm using the same wireless connection for both the desktop and the laptop, which the same Internet Options selected.

I have always had to contact them....which is entirely too difficult to do!....to get them to help me download the updates. This time I ignored the Help/update route and went to the downloads page and was able to grab updates.

From the Adobe downloads page, I downloaded updates for both CS6 and Bridge, hoping that would also update ACR. But the laptop still shows ACR 7.1.

On that same download page, the only separate ACR I see is down the page and is version 7.1.

BTW - LR's ACR shows version 7.4 on both the laptop and the desktop.

My only difference appears to be in Bridge, where the desktop shows ACR version 8.1.0.43 and the laptop shows Bridge ACR as 7.1.0.354.

I downloaded the same files for CS6 and Bridge for both the desktop and the laptop. My suspicion is that perhaps Adobe "fed" me (as an automatic update) the ACR 8.1 on the desktop but didn't on the laptop...if that makes sense.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I can give that a try...but I have a strong wireless signal and connection...the downloads on the laptop happen very quickly.

Somehow the" Adobe update server" is not responding...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Bingo!!!!!!

:biggrin:BINGO!!!!!!!! The MS WiFi miniport was the culprit!

I knew it wasn't the Adobe server going down, because this error has occurred every time I re-try, and over the course of about 2 years! LOL!

On my laptop, the MS WiFi miniport had a red X.......I thought that meant it was not "active"....however when I right clicked on it, I could - and did - select "disable".

Then I opened CS6 Bridge, and the downloads are progressing at this moment!

THANKS!

I'll up date everyone as to whether or not I end up with ACR 8!!!!!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It worked!

I now have ACR 8.1.0.43 for Bridge CS6 on the laptop!

Thank you, Tony and Richard for helping!

( Wonder how the guy who did the video figured it out? )

Pleased to hear you are back to normal.

This issue goes back to at least 2010 on Adobe forums. So not clear why the issues have not been addressed other than MS and Adobe blaming each other?

Real Name
Randy
it said 7.1 but installed 8.1

how do you tell what version of ACR LR4 is using or does it share ACR with CS6 ?

Randy, you will have to upgrade to LR5 to have the same raw engine 8.1 - you are now a little out of sync, but not a big deal. :eek::wink::biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom