Can't get old s/w to work... FIXED!!! :))

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
fixed problemI have a CD of some 1996 Rand McNally trip planning software that I LOVE. (I've searched and never found any s/w that is even close to the features this s/w offers. And YES!, the 1996 maps are "good enough"! I double check the map data with internet info and our new GPS...very seldom do I need to adjust the trip planning s/w) Even though it is quite old, I could still use it with Windows XP. The files have .trp extensions.

In June 2012 I got a new computer with Windows 7 Professional so I can emulate XP. I also have a .trp file dated June 2012. I'm assuming that I tried running the software on Windows 7, but really can't recall. Maybe I just ran the s/w one last time before switching to W7!

Tonight I wanted to start planning a new trip. When I put the CD in the CD player and click on either the application or the setup .exe file, I get a message saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's sys info to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program..."

I then set up Windows virtual PC mode so I can run XP.....yet I get the same message and still cannot get the software to start.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I had never used Virtual PC - XP before....so I wasn't using it correctly. Once I realized the Start button I was seeing was W7, I was able to re-size the XP window so I could see ITS Start button....

Then I was able to install the s/w using my CD......AHHHH!!!! I have my beloved s/w working again!

Now to plan another trip!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom