Can't go to my favorite wildlife spots

There may have been a discussion on this already, but if so, I did not notice it because it did not affect me. But starting last Saturday Massachusetts has be closed to NH residents so I can't go to the wildlife spots I go for photos. Plum Island has 2 snowy owls there for the winter (most likely) but I can only look at the photos others might take. Salisbury State Park and other spots are off limits.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
This is why we need common sense on outdoor activities And it needs to be applied. Sorry to hear this Allan.

Massachusetts has be closed to NH residents
I'm sure the state isn't closed to non-residents because such a closure would be illegal. I looked up the official website explaining the restrictions. They are the same restrictions Vermont imposed on my wife and me when we visited there for a week -- get a negative COVID test shortly before going there or self-quarantine for 14 days before going there. We self-quarantined. The only important change in our lifestyle during the quarantine was that we had groceries delivered to us. That would still be true today.

Last edited:
Mike - you are correct - but I feel I am banned. The spots I go to are an hour or so from home. I would be going to them a few times a week for the next month or so. I could get a test but that would cover just 1 visit.

Of course not. I am not going because of the rule though not because I am worrying of covid. BTW the rule was made because Mass. doesn’t want me to give them COVID.

Stuck in London since March.
Most of the time stuck at home.
Usually I would have spent weeks in Spain, France, Ireland and California.
And locally in parks and museums.
My photography hobby has been replaced with consumption of YouTube travel vlogs.
Looking forward to after...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Stuck in London since March.
Most of the time stuck at home.
Usually I would have spent weeks in Spain, France, Ireland and California.
And locally in parks and museums.
My photography hobby has been replaced with consumption of YouTube travel vlogs.
Looking forward to after...
Justin does travel videos, complete with narration and music. You can find lots to watch! Presently, he is fond of this one....Close Encounter with a Cheetah! It was taken on our trip to Tanzania this past March. Yes, we were fortunate enough to spend 2.5 weeks in Africa just before things shut down!

Pleasant Videos

@Allan I feel your pain.

I missed out on quite a number of native orchids and birds this season due to Covid restrictions. However, it was for the better. We're now coming out of restrictions and borders between states are starting to open. New Zealanders can fly into Australia with no requirements to isolate. Unfortunately we cannot do the same going to NZ. We were hoping to go home to NZ for Christmas. If Australia can keep Covid under control restrictions traveling to NZ maybe lifted early next year.

One of our great birding location's is the Western Treatment Plant, which has been closed for months.

https://www.birdlife.org.au/projects/melbourne-water-biodiversity-surveys/western-treatment-plant

Melbourne Water’s Western Treatment Plant is regarded as Victoria’s premier birding site. With a list of over 280 species, regular records of threatened and vagrant species and a waterbird population which exceeds 30,000 birds the site attracts visitors from around Australia and the world.
Apparently one of the reasons for the closure is Covid can last for around 3 days in sewage and gets aerosolised in the treatment process.

Last edited:
I have been pleasantly surprised at how much being at home most of the time has stirred up some inner depths of creativity that I didn't know I had. Actually, I began exploring that somewhat last winter prior to COVID-19, due more to weather conditions than to the pandemic since it had not happened yet. During the spring and summer months, when we did indeed have to deal with COVID-19, I was thankful that I was able to get out and walk around our neighborhood and do some wildlife shooting because we have waterfowl on the small lake here. Now that it is getting into wintertime and colder weather again and the darned pandemic hasn't gone away, I'm starting to delve back into projects which can be shot right in my own dining room, kitchen or bedroom..... Actually, I think my photography hobby has saved my sanity over the past eight (or is it nine now?) months and will continue to do so as we head into the winter of 2020/2021......

All that said, it must be so frustrating, though, Allan, not to be able to simply drive across state borders and go to your favorite shooting spots, as you've always been able to do in past years...... Hang in there, this, too will pass. Are you planning to go back down to Florida this winter to escape the worst of the winter months in New England and to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities for shooting birds and other wildlife there?

as Connie mentions it is frustrating when I can’t go to the open park that I went to 3x last week. But there are worse things and I do count my blessings.

our plans are to go to Florida this winter. we have a condo in a very safe section and do little that we consider dangerous.

I live in central florida and certainly hope things calm down enough that they do not have to go into a lockdown again like last year. All the state and county parks were closed. My sites, where I would often sit for hours and never see another soul were made off limits. I am a rule follower, so I photographed other things closer to home. Let’s hope this latest round of worsening numbers gets under control quickly. You all stay safe.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom