Can't open D800 NEF files

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't open D800 NEF files in Lightroom 4.4 Camera Raw 7.4. When I try to open the RAW file it give me an error that it doesn't recognize the file type.

Joe - I don't have any problem opening my D800 files in Lightroom. Can you see the files in the Windows pictures library? Do the properties show that it is a NEF, JPEG, or TIFF?

Check you Help->About. You should be LightRoom 4.4 and Camera Raw 7.4. If not you need an update. If you are, I would ask this on the Lightroom forums. I am opening D800 and D7100 files with no problem.

Have you ever been able to open a NEF from a D800 in this version?

Have these NEFs been processed by any software before this?

If you have the proper versions, I would be happy to trade a NEF with you to test, we can transfer via my FTP site if needed.

I have all the Lightroom updates, 4.4 and Csmera Raw 7.4. I imported the files via Nikon Tansfer. It shows the thumbnail photo of the NEF image on my MBP in pictures. When I try to import from that folder to Lightroom, it doesn't show the image it just says Nikon NEF.

Should I try importing to Lightroom directly from the camera itself?

Bill, these are the very first images I shot with the D800.

Have not done a firmware update on the camera. Didn't know there was one available. JUST got it last night and used it today for the first time.

Nikon Transfer is the most likely problem. Copy your raw files direct a from the camera.

If you must use Nikon Transfer you should check for latest update

Ok I was able to import directly to Lightroom from the camera. Now this may sound stupid...

Once edited in Lightroom, when I export the tiff so I can do more editing in PS, WHERE does the exported file get saved on the computer?

If you used 'Export' it will be where ever your export preset is configured to send the file. If you used "Edit in PS" option then it will be in the same folder as the original.

Joe - I set up a specific folder in LR for new pictures and then use LR to import my NEFs directly into the LR folder I just set up using a Lexar card reader. I haven't had any problems regardless of my D800 firmware. I agree with Tony and I would not use Nikon transfer. When you export a NEF, TIFF, or JPEG file, you have to designate the folder where the exported file will go. The bar in the upper left hand corner will tell you when the export is complete.

Joe - I set up a specific folder in LR for new pictures and then use LR to import my NEFs directly into the LR folder I just set up using a Lexar card reader. I haven't had any problems regardless of my D800 firmware. I agree with Tony and I would not use Nikon transfer. When you export a NEF, TIFF, or JPEG file, you have to designate the folder where the exported file will go. The bar in the upper left hand corner will tell you when the export is complete.

Thank you John and everyone else for all the help. I am all set up now and got it running smoothly!! :biggrin:

Nikon Transfer is the most likely problem. Copy your raw files direct a from the camera.

If you must use Nikon Transfer you should check for latest update

Nikon Transfer will not work with D800 files. You can use the transfer button on View NX-2.

Nikon Transfer will not work with D800 files. You can use the transfer button on View NX-2.
Ahh, I see so the latest version of Nikon transfer 2 is included within ViewNX 2 - which is supplied on disk with the camera?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom