Can't seem to get my iMac...

Real Name
John DeSanto
to recognize my new HP printer. I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled the HP printer stuff. I've gone to HP's website and downloaded the newest and greatest, I've used software update on the iMac to make sure it's up-to-date. No luck. Anybody have any ideas?

iMac: OSX 10.6.7

HP printer: OfficeJet 4500

Last edited by a moderator:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Try the Apple Computers section under Technical Discussion. You are more likely to get help there.
Suggestion: How did you connect the printer to the computer? USB or Network? USB is easier to get running.

Check the cable connection. You may have a bad cable.
Usually Mac OS recognizes and installs the printer automatically.

To install the printer maually:
click the Apple icon in the upper left corner > System Preferences > Print and Fax
Click the + symbol on the left under printers
The printer should be recognized > click it and hit Add.

I had an HP all-in-one a few years ago and had nothing but headaches with the software (for Mac). I would constantly have to re-install the driver and/or reboot the computer just to get the printer to work again. I contacted their support group and while I don't remember the details, the result was not satisfactory.

I ended up ditching the HP and going with Epson for my last two printers and have not yet had any problem with the software. Not to say there aren't other issues with Epson, but at least the drivers seem sound.

I know that's only one data point and not very scientific, but that's my experience.

Barry

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom