Canyonlands with Gaye's (now my) 12-24

The 12-24 that Gaye sold me arrived -- thanks to her fast shipping -- just in time to take it to Utah last week. The following images of Mesa Arch, which is what drew me to the area in the first place, wouldn't have been possible without it.

The images were each taken with the D2x and the 12-24 at 12 to 14mm. In the first two images, 12mm is necessary to keep the arch in the image while getting the camera close enough to the arch to exclude some distracting foreground elements. (The arch is really very small.) Other photographers at the same location at the same time with lenses no wider than 17mm just couldn't get this effect.

The third image is also of the arch, but at 90 degrees to the left of the first two. It gives you some idea of the size of the arch, and how close the foreground rocks are to it. 12mm was also necessary here to include this much of the arch in the image and achieve the desired effect.

Because of the brightness of the sky, this third image also required combining two images, one at an EV of 1.7 less than the first. Utah has the pretties skies, and I didn't want to lose any of this one.

All images were taken just after sunrise, at 1/15 and f/16.

It's partly lost in these pale and slightly overexposed looking jpegs, so you'll have to trust me, but the underside of this arch has a brilliant orange/red glow.

large.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 9469

View attachment 9470

Mike,

You've been holding out on me! I hadn't seen the third shot until this thread. Wonderful shot and the sky is exceptional. Looks like the 12-24mm is in good hands.

Joe

joecolson said:
Looks like the 12-24mm is in good hands.

Yeah, better than in Gaye's hands . . . err . . . uhh, I mean, it was very generous of Gaye to let me have such a well cared-for unit at such a good price.

The 12-24 made all the difference in a lot of the Utah photography, and I've been trying to use it with proper respect.

(There, did I get my foot back out of my mouth?)

Mike

Mike,

You just made my day! Wonderful shots!

GOOB JOB!

I"m delighted that my former lens is in such good hands. I just wasn't using it enough and it's great to see what you're accomplishing with it.

Thanks and best to you,

Gaye

GeeJay said:
I"m delighted that my former lens is in such good hands.

Thanks. This lens made all the difference in how I approached Canyonlands, Arches, etc., and it made for a much more rewarding experience.

Believe me that I'm taking very good care of it!

Kind regards,

Mike

spanishbayonet said:
Mike just got my 12-24, i was curious if you use any filters on it and if so have you seen any problems with your images. CS Dayan

No. No filters and no problems. Gaye generously included a UV filter with the lens, but I don't keep filters on my lenses for protection purposes. And no need arose for a polarizing filter with any of the images made with this lens.

gho

That's amazing. I like #2! Wish I may someday get to see something like that. You definately getting some great shots!

Joe Marques said:
Very nice work Mike, especially #3.

Thanks, Joe. Of the versions with sky showing, this is my favorite too. Other versions have no sky showing at the top of the image, and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about them. They have their own appeal.

Then there are still other versions with the obligatory starburst as the sun peeks over the horizon. And again as the sun becomes hidden by the bottom of the arch. But I thought I'd spare everyone the pain of wading through all these!

Regards,

Mike

gho said:
Wish I may someday get to see something like that.

Tear yourself away from your cute kids and elaborate reef tanks , and you could! It's an easy drive from here, and you're an easy drive from me. With our combined brain power, we could probably plan a trip even!

Regards,

Mike

Mike, these are beautiful!!! Pls post up some more - we'll let you know when we're bored of them! Come on, show us the peeking sun shots....

TOLady said:
Pls post up some more - we'll let you know when we're bored of them! Come on, show us the peeking sun shots....

OK, a little later when I get to the desktop where all the images are. Have some chores to attend to that the other half of the marital community has assigned me. She's from a little over 300 miles northeast of you (Montreal). You know how those folks can be.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way.

Regards,

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom