Cap for the remote terminal

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bohdan, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Had problems with this small round cap that covers the 10 pin remote terminal on the front of the D200 since day 1..kept coming off and as I thought would happen ..it's gone .
    Question. is this something to worry about when out shooting pictures ie. getting wet etc while exposed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Absolutely nothing to worry about. I always remove and throw away those covers whenever I get a new camera. Never had a problem, despite shooting under the worst imaginable weather conditions.

3. Thanks Bjorn...always value your advice....
    Just heard from my brother who lives in Oteren...outside of Tromso....they're having some spectacular wether up there and enjoying the winter..

Bob

4. wouldn't it be nice to see some sort of aftermarket lock-in extender-type thing for the remote terminal that includes a tethered cap?
    Just a thought :smile:

5. Thanks guys....I'll look into that site.

Bob

6. papa85

papa85 Guest

Call Nikon parts, they sent me one out free

310-516-7124 :Shocked:

7. Bob, I just noticed I had lost mine too on Friday. Went to LL Lozeau in Montreal and had a new one for 2,39$. I made sure it fits tight now and hope to keep it. The same had happened to me with the flash synchro cap on my D70. Seems like they come out of the factory loosely fit.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

All the hassles you guys are going through for nothing. As I said, I remove and throw away those caps immediately when I get a camera. Has absolutely no practical value. No harm will befall the uncapped camera.

9. I agree with Bjorn. The only problem comes with resale. I've had trouble selling cameras with lost caps. Why? I think we sweat the small stuff too much.

10. Happy New Year Glenn,

This is a terrific site. Thank you for sharing!

11. cybertec

cybertec Guest

interesting, how did it FALL off, apprently you did NOT screw it back on properly, the cap has threads on it, pretty hard to fall OFF when you use the threads to SCREW it on, not just pop it on, take care.

12. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You would think so, but mine DID. As apparently, have those of others. The POINT is that they are easy to lose.

13. cybertec

cybertec Guest

the only way for the cap to fall off once it is SCREWED on, is to pry it off with pliers, you"and others with same problem" did NOT screw it on properly, that's all, human error, it happens to the best of us.

14. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Sorry. These caps do easily unscrew more or less on their own, when the camera is carried around. I've seen this occuring with a camera coming straight out of the box. To avoid the problem, just throw the caps away. They are not needed for anything.

15. Why are we wasting time and brain cells on arguably the least significant piece of the camera?:confused: :confused: :confused:

This discourse is only serving to pull Bjorn away from working on his D200 review. :mad:

In my case, I know they disappear whenever I use the remote release cord --simple forgetfulness in my rush to my pc with the image-laden CF card. :redface:

16. Glen,
    I think it is not a waste of time to talk about anything with friends. Sometimes I call people just to say hi and the most significant thing we talk about is the weather. If folks are interested and want to contribute to the conversation, is that a waste? I don't think anyone here was forced to respond. I think everyone knows the relative importance of the buttons but, they apparantly want to keep their camera intact for what ever reason, asthetics or resale or just because they like it that way.

We have all been to DPR and seen the degrading and insulting posters there. I say let people discuss what ever interests them. If you have limited time and open a thread to find it is not important to you, perhaps, you might spend less time there and look for something more relevent to you.

This is not to critisize Glen, but what is important or interesting to one may not be at all important to another. Just relax and enjoy posting with friends. Even if you don't learn anything, it is still fun and enjoyable to share with others. I think Bjorn is smart enough to realize this also and will probably do just fine with his review despite this thread.

It's day 1 of the rest of your life. there's still plenty of time to get it right.

17. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'm coming from an aerospace background on this, in our world open cannon-plugs are a bad thing. You have exposed terminals that are now more susceptible to contamination (dust/dirt/water) that can lead to intermittent or no signal pickup. However I'm sure that you will have no or little trouble with your camera and the use of the 10-pin hook-up.

If you can get free replacements like someone said, I would look in to that. If they want to charge $5 for a little cap, I would go without or make a cover from junk-draw stuff at home.

18. Scott,

I think you might have misinterpreted what was my attempt to stop folks from going down the DPR path. You seem to be suggesting that I was trying to stifle conversation among friends about a subject that I viewed as unimportant. That wasn’t my intention. What I saw in the prior posts was people using all caps to shout back at those offering a differing opinion. My post was simply an attempt to put that escalating bickering to rest with a little, apparently not so obvious, humor. Did you really believe that I thought Bjorn’s work was going to be impacted by these series of posts? I used Smilies in my post hoping that folks would realize humor was intended.

I think you misread the situation, but I certainly believe you meant well and were acting in what you thought was the best way to keep the Café from going DPR. But who knows, maybe it was my misread of what was going on with the prior posts. I do believe that we both want the same positive environment when it comes to the Café.

Best regards,

Glenn

19. Sorry Glenn,

I guess I was being protective of friends (After 31 years of police work, it's instinctive) and in the end, you are right. We all want a great place to hang out and meet. If I mis-read your comments, I certainly apologize. That's the difference between the Cafe and DPR.

Glad we agree. Let's leave the bickering over at DPR.

Regards