Cape Cod's Great Island Trail

The Great Island Trail was named when there really was an island before sand naturally built up and replaced the water. It's widely considered the best hiking trail on Cape Cod and one of the best seashore trails in America's system of national parks. The trail is only the second of its kind that my wife and I have hiked and we're really glad we did.

Photo #1
Wellfleet Harbor at low tide viewed from an overlook in a pine forest that crosses from one beach at the Herring River to the beach in this scene. The small strip of land in the top left area about 1 1/4 miles long leads to the left to Jeremy Point, which is not included in this scene. That strip appears only at low tide. The two men are looking back across the ankle-deep water they had walked through. Captured by my wife and post-processed by me.
Joellen 2021-08-15--0107-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
The trail passes alongside grass-covered sand dunes. A wonderful beach looking out to Cape Cod Bay is to the right on the other side of the dunes.
Mike 2021-08-15--0617-S.jpg

Photo #3
If you get lucky, you'll come upon someone digging clams at low tide on the banks of the Herring River. This guy sells them rather than eats them.
Mike 2021-08-15--0702-S.jpg

Photo #4
The banks of the Herring River and the pine forest mentioned in the description of Photo #1.
Mike 2021-08-15--0720-S.jpg

Photo #5
A couple short offshoots of the main trail lead through the dunes to the beach at Cape Cod Bay. The dunes are roped off during the season that birds mate, lay eggs and nurture their young. Captured by my wife and post-processed by me.
Joellen 2021-08-15--0120-S-BW.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Nice set. I agree with everyone else: I like #1 best, with its irregular swirls and the two human figures in contemplation.

From Corson's Inlet, by A. R. Ammons:

I went for a walk over the dunes again this morning
to the sea,
then turned right along
the surf
rounded a naked headland
and returned

along the inlet shore:

the walk liberating, I was released from forms,
from the perpendiculars,
straight lines, blocks, boxes, binds
of thought
into the hues, shadings, rises, flowing bends and blends
of sight:

I see narrow orders, limited tightness, but will
not run to that easy victory:
still around the looser, wider forces work:
I will try
to fasten into order enlarging grasps of disorder, widening
scope, but enjoying the freedom that
Scope eludes my grasp, that there is no finality of vision,
that I have perceived nothing completely,
that tomorrow a new walk is a new walk.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43073/corsons-inlet

Thank you to Allan, Mitch, Karen, Bill, Walter and Glenn!

As for the first photo, my wife and I captured several very similar to it that also included the two men. However, their location within the scene and the one man that has both hands on his head made my wife's photo displayed above stand out from the rest. It's really amazing how such a small detail relative to the rest of the content in the image can make such a big difference. I have passed along your compliments about that first photo to my wife.

Real Name
Dan
Nice set, Mike. Each one nicely composed and collectively they give a good sense of the place. Well done.

Latest threads

Top Bottom