1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cape Elizabeth.

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by camerapapi, Jul 28, 2008.

1. This is the lighthouse at Cape Elizabeth, Maine. I used my long gone D100, a camera I still miss, and the 24mm f2.8 AIS lens. Because the camera did not meter with manual lenses, I used a hand held Minolta Autometer IV F incident light meter. A polarizer was also used but with little rotation to make the sky look natural. Gitzo tripod with Linhof ballhead.
    When I finished photographing here I headed for the Portland lighthouse, situated I believe also at Cape Elizabeth and a short distance from here.
    I hope the size I am using, 10x6.6 inches is adequate.

Cape-ElizabethII.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Beautiful! I think this could be a post card.

I really like the hues of blue.

3. nice shot..... but,
    1. i'd like to see it bigger
    2. i'd lose the complicated frame... it surely detracts from your image

4. OK Greg, before this thing gets to my nerves, what size should I be using? I thought this was big enough!
    William.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice shot William
    you were right next to the lobster shack I assume ?? :biggrin:

6. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    My guess, is that he was standing near the fog horn building.( yes next to the lobster Shack).
    Just for reference, that light is the working one of "Two Lights" on the point and the naming for the State Park down the street. These are two of the seven lighthouses nearby.
    Five of them are accessible by land, (Bug light,Spring Point Light, Portland Head Light, and Cape Elizabeth Light with its dormant counterpart),with the sixth ( Ram Island) just off shore The most notable being the one at Portland Head. The seventh is only visible if you squint real hard.
    I'ts a nice neighborhood.
    By coincidence, NBC ran a segment last friday on a retired NBC war correspondent John Rich, who "happened" to be given a camera by a "new" company(Nikon) when he was covering Korea. While all of his buddies ( David Douglas Duncan to be exact) were shooting black and white, he decided to shoot this new "kodachrome" stuff. As a result he just turned over a thousand color slides of the Korean conflict. the ONLY ones in existence.
    The reason I mention it is that in the segment he is shown walking down the driveway of the house he was born in and still lives in on Hanaford Cove. Cape Elizabeth Light is prominently in the background from the other side of the point.

dale from the "hood"

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    thanks Dale
    it is a great area
    I always make sure to stop at Portland Head and the one here when I visit Acadia
    sadly the small parking area was packed this year and couldn't enjoy the views and food as last year

8. It's a classic photo.

Les

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very Nicely Done !!!

10. Are you trying to tell me gentlemen that I was by a lobster shack and I could not smell it?
    I was standing over a short hill just opposite the lighthouse. It was early October and there was a soft breeze that made my walk with tripod and camera on my shoulder a pleasant experience. I do not use carbon fiber tripods!
    Like everyone else I had my lobster roll but not here but by the small village before reaching Cape Neddick, where the Lubber light is, The owner was a very nice gentleman who came to Maine during the summer to come back to his place of origin in late October. In general the people were very friendly and the whole experience was a great one.
    I am planning to come back this coming October.
    William.

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    there is one right there William
    maybe it was closed by October ?

12. Very nice composition and color. I don't find the frame distracting, myself.

13. Thank you David for your comments. Frank, I was with a physician friend of mine at the time, who spends winters in Florida and he lives in Kennebunkport, a very beautiful village.
    The lobster shack has to be there but I simply did not see it. It would have been nice having a lobster roll at the end of the day looking into the ocean. This place, like everything else I saw in Maine, is very beautiful.
    As I said, looking forward to go back in October.
    William.

14. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Good morning William

" The Lobster Shack" is a land mark here in Cape Elizabeth, it has been owned by the same family for decades. They also had a bakery in downtown Portland for a very long time but closed it a number of years ago when retirement presented itself http://lobstershacktwolights.com/
    This year they are closing for the season October 21st.

You can check out a bunch of local shots on my flickr page, www.flickr.com/photos/heydale. If you want to know any of the setups when you are up in October,let me know. I live nearby.

dale

15. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Nice Shot William I love Maine probably will get up that way later this summer we stay at Ogonquit

16. Cape Elizabeth

I want to thank you each and everyone of you for your nice comments.
    I love maritime photography and during the winter months I take all the opportunities available to me to photograph in Miami and the Florida Keys.
    My visit to Maine was a great experience. I did not have enough time in one week to appreciate all that it was necessary to really appreciate what a beautiful State Maine is.
    Thank you Dale for your comments and help. I looked at your work and you really have beautiful shots around the coast. Awesome!
    William.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.