Capture 1

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by pbenedic, Dec 26, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    OK, I loaded this up for a 30 day trial. To me, this is CLEARLY the best RAW engine out there. I'm mighty impressed. I'm hooked on it.
    Here's the rub:

$500??!!

Is that figure correct?? Yeah, I like it a lot, but 500 bucks?

1]Does anyone else here like it? Long-time users, what are it advantages and disadvantages?
    2]Any way to obtain this for less than $500?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'd be interested in your view as to why C1 is clearly the best. I just did some comparisons with Nikon Capture, and for many images, the results looked about the same. For others, C1 seemed to extract more detail. Phase One markets an LE version for $99.

3. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Why I like Capture 1

Sorry for the late response.
    My reasons for liking capture 1:

1]Layout. Very intuitive and easy to move through.
    2]White balance tool is very effective.
    3]Program runs pretty quickly and doesn't crash.

I realize that NC probably has the best final output of RAW files (marginally better than the others--RS, ACR, etc), but NC has NONE of the aforementioned properties. It is prohibitively slow and crashes ALL the time. NC is one of the worst pieces of software that I've ever come across.

I just need to figure out whether the LE version offers those things that I like, because I'm not ready to pay $500 for a RAW converter (being the amateur that I am).

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have found that NC 4.4 doesn't crash anything like as much as earlier versions and runs a bit quicker also. Of course, it is still slower than anything else, and the interface is clunky at best. Despite its problems, I find myself using it more and more. I hope version 5 (rumored to be in the works) finally solves these issues, because underneath lurks the best RAW converter IMO.

One thing that keeps me coming back to Nikon Capture is the D-Lighting tool. Another is the color tool that allows you to boost saturation without affecting skin tones.

5. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Question

Did you ever think that the reason that your NC crashes has something to do with your setup? My Nikon Capture has not crashed in months and although I keep trying other software program for conversion, they do not (in my setup) produce the results that match Nikon Capture. Maybe I am just lucky.

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I've been using Capture One for about 18 months now and I love it.

(By the way, I'm using a Mac and for me NC was just too slow and I didn't get on with the UI, although it appears to have a much more powerful feature set.)

Something just clicked with CO for me - I just got into it straight away and never looked back.

The workflow is nice and quick, photo adjustment is incredibly fast and batch output quality is excellent.

And there's the added bonus of being able to work on non-Nikon files as well if you have to.... :eek:

7. I just tried to use C1, the trial version.

I can't figure out how to 1) convert a RAW and 2) see said RAW in CS2, etc. or anywhere for that matter at 1:1.

Keep in mind I write software for a living.

What am I missing?????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Hi Beezle,

The basic workflow is:
    1) Create a new Session
    2) Import files
    3) Work on exposure/white balance/focus (sharpening and noise redcution)
    4) Develop (output)

Have you checked out the online tutorials at Phase One?

They're a good starting point - feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions following that.

Cheers!

9. Okay, figured it out.

:rolleyes:

Not a bad converter at all.

10. Let's just say I am more used to designing software than having to read the @#$%@ instructions.

And really, one should NOT have to read a manual to use such software. Or at least get started with it.

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

As of version 3.73 Capture One supports D200 NEFs. It really does a marvellous job with them, improving significantly on Nikon Capture and for many scenes even better than BibblePro 4.5. However its handling of high-ISO noise still has flaws, and the main issue is it runs excruciatingly slow with D200 files. Way slower than NC 4.4, which is a remarkable but not positive feat indeed. So my approach when doing my D200 testing is toggling betwwen Bibble 4.5 and NC 4.5, with an occasional spot check in C1 3.73.

12. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Glad you got there! Are you using it on a PC? I run it on a Mac and love it, then tried it on a friend's PC and it took me a while to figure it out..... :redface:

13. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I hear that a brand new version will be out this year which should be a LOT faster. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking..... :biggrin:

14. This was on a PC. I use both platforms, though. Just had to get into their "workflow" mindset then everything made (enough) sense. I get confused using anything that doesn't follow the "document" model, or at least supports it. Been doing this too long.

I have a copy of Bibble, but haven't used it in some time. How well does it handle noise?

Tonight I have been comparing ACR, NC and C1. I think I might like C1's take on exposure and white balance. Noise wise, it varies by images and I would love to have something a little better. I also have Neat Image, but generally don't care for the results, or should I say it takes too much fuss to get results I like.

15. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Can you elaborate on the "document" model? And you have you tried CO on a Mac? It would interesting to hear your thoughts.

I haven't tried Bibble for a long time either. I was impressed with the speed but I couldn't get my head around the UI as easily as CO. I've just had a dabble with the latest Raw Developer as well and I like the level of control you have (like working in LAB without needing to go via Photoshop). But I have this real hang-up about UI's.....

At least it's good to have options!

16. The document model is simple the File menu and everything it implies. Open, Save, Save As, etc. That the object you are manipulating with a particular program is a "document."

An app like CO is more of a conduit. I would call it a "workflow" model. I have designed software that actually embodied both of these models.

Problem is, people like myself end up too opinionated to be flexible. I complain about other's software (and my own) because I spend so much time thinking about the problems they solve.

I have not use CO on the Mac, but I will try it today. My copy of Bibble is Mac licensed so I need to spend some quality time over there anyway.

17. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Hi Beezle!

How did you get on with Capture One on the Mac?

Cheers!