Capture 4.2.1 Still Has Problems

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bravocharlie, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 3ghz P4 Processor
    2gb 400ddr HT RAM
    (2) 120gb stripped Western Digital drives

Capture 4.2.1

Damn thing still crashes when working on 42 images.

This is very discouraging.

2. Right-click your task bar, select Task Manager. Watch the RAM usage.

42 images? Whew!

Ron

3. Further Update

I have been watching RAM usage. There appear to be certain functions in Capture like D-Lighting that really drain RAM. Remember I'm running 2gb of RAM.

I have conducted other tests with just one image in Capture and the same RAM drain occurs.

The bottom line is this version of Capture still contains bugs and needs to be fixed.

4. No doubt. Ever since 4 was released there have been memory leaks and other issues like screen redraw slowdowns.

To release RAM, minimize and maximize the application. It's a temporary fix that allows you to keep working... but don't open that many images.

I've got 4GB of RAM. This program has no clue how to use it.

Ron

5. 42 images?? You must be looking at a Multi-image window. I can't imagine opening that many images simultaneously.

Up until recently, I tried to process photos using a combination of Thumbs Plus, Nikon Capture, and PhotoShop CS all loaded at the same time. Worked well in the past, but lately I can't get much done that way. Could be because my files are suddenly much bigger (D2X RAW), but I don't want to go through a lot of testing to see what the real problem is right now.

And I've noticed that certain edits with NC seem to make NEF files undecipherable for Thumbs Plus. Don't know exactly what they are, but when the problem occurs the thumbnails can't be created by Thumbs Plus and it refuses to do anything with the files until I restart the application (TP, not NC).

This really is becoming a problem for me, because I really want to keep the NC controls in my workflow. I really hope Nikon and Cerious fix these issues soon...

6. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    David,

Let the folks at Cerious know what you're running into. They are very responsive in addressing bugs in their software.

Joe