Capture and those Red Rectangles!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jgrove, May 3, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    There has been much discussion about the focus brackets in Nikon Capture on the forum. Yesterday i shot nearly 1500 images at a race (oh yeah on one battery coool :) )

Anyway i shot some in NEF + FINE and some in just FINE. I have always been a bit weary of these red rectangles and now i know why. There (at best) not very accurate.

For example in CH mode the red rectangles are not saved by the camera for most of the sequence of a shot (ie hold the shutter button down and usually only the first one of the sequence has the red rectangles stored in the file)

So my findings, which may be right or wrong are this,

1. Nikon may not have implemented the storing of the focus bracket properly

2. Nikon have doen it properly and theres a bug in there code that means you get a hit and miss affair with those pesky red things!

3. Nikon havent documented why and when the red rectangles are stored.

Does anyone else have any findings or am i become an obsessive red rectangle hunter?!

Thanks

2. D. Kelly

D. Kelly Guest

I've found a similar problem, they don't show for about half my shots, and I can't find any common reason...could be a bug in the software...

Dennis

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Red Focus Rectangles

Hi Folks...

I've found that unless I'm shooting in FOCUS release, that I don't always see a rectangle. Perhaps this is because in some instances the camera never really locks focus and releases anyway...as it's meant to?

Also, I find that the focus point shows up much more reliably when shooting in single area or single area dynamic. The few times I've tried group dynamic, the focus point shows up much less frequently.

4. Re: Red Focus Rectangles

I think JF is correct. Unless the camera actually has focus lock, you're not going to get the recticle data.

5. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Re: Red Focus Rectangles

Hi Jim, yes my findings are the same, in group dynamic AF it takes the camera longer to lock onto a subject and i always thought it should have been quicker, but my tests on monday prooved that group dynamic af is far less reliable then dynamic af.

6. marc

marc Guest

"The focus area will not be displayed if the image was created using a COOLPIX-series camera, a non-CPU lens, or manual focus."

i thought this might help

marc